Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Assistant Professor, Mechanical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
1000 Catawba Street
Columbia, SC 29208
Google Scholar Profile
McNAIR Center for Aerospace Innovation and Research
Dr. Sockalingam’s research interests include development of advanced composite materials that are light weight and stronger through a multiscale experimental and computational approach for aerospace, automotive and defense applications. His expertise are in multiscale finite element modeling and analysis, material characterization, constitutive model development, ballistic impact, design and development of body and vehicle armor, automotive crashworthiness and engineering consulting.
- Ph.D., Mechanical Engineering, University of Delaware, 2016
- M.S., Mechanical Engineering, University of Cincinnati, 2008
- B.E., Mechanical Engineering, Coimbatore Institute of Technology, India, 2003
- Sockalingam, S., Gillespie Jr, J.W., Keefe, M., “Modeling the fiber length-scale response of Kevlar KM2 yarn during transverse impact”, Textile Research Journal, 2016.
- Ganesh, R., Sockalingam, S., Haque, B.Z., Gillespie Jr, J.W., “Dynamic effects of single fiber break in unidirectional glass fiber-reinforced composites”, Journal of Composite Materials, 2016.
- Sockalingam, S., Bremble, R., Gillespie Jr, J.W., Keefe, M., “Transverse compression behavior of Kevlar KM2 single fiber”, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 81, 271-281, 2016.
- Sockalingam, S., Chowdhury, S.C., Gillespie Jr, J.W., Keefe, M., “Recent advances in modeling and experiments of ballistic fibrils, fibers, yarns and flexible textile fabrics – a review”, Textile Research Journal, 2016.
- Sockalingam, S., Gillespie Jr, J.W., Keefe, M., “Dynamic modeling of Kevlar KM2 single fiber subjected to transverse impact”, International Journal of Solids and Structures, 67, 297-310, 2015.
- Sockalingam, S., Dey, M., Gillespie Jr, J.W., Keefe, M., “Finite element analysis of the microdroplet test method using cohesive zone model of the fiber/matrix interface”, Composites Part A: Applied Science and Manufacturing, 56, 239-247, 2014.
- Tabiei, A., Sockalingam, S., “Coupled fluid/thermal/structural simulation for hypersonic reentry vehicles”, Journal of Aerospace Engineering, 25, 2, 2012.
- Krishnan, K., Sockalingam, S., Bansal, S., Rajan, S.D., “Numerical Simulation of Ceramic Composite Armor”, Composite Part B: Engineering, 41, 8, 583-593, 2010.