Faculty and Staff
College of Engineering and Computing
Dr. Zhou's research focuses on understanding the fundamental strengthening, deformation and failure mechanisms of advanced structural materials, by integrating both experimental and computational approaches, and provide a scientific basis for design and processing advanced materials with superior properties.
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, 2010
- M.S., Materials Processing Engineering, Tianjin University, China, 2006
- B.S., Metallic Materials Science and Engineering, Tianjin University, China, 2003
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2017
- TMS Young Leaders Professional Development Award, 2015
- NSF postdoctoral travel award, "Materials Defects" workshop, UCLA, 2012
- Research Excellence Award, sponsored by Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2010
- T. Chen, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Predicting the size scaling in strength of nanolayered materials by a discrete slip crystal plasticity model", International Journal of Plasticity, (2020) 124: 247
- S. Huang, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Unusual size effects from tilted twin boundaries in nano-twinned metals", Extreme Mechanics Letters, (2019) 32: 100571
- R. Yuan, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Homogenization of plastic deformation in heterogeneous lamella structures", Materials Research Letters, (2017) 5: 251.
- R. Yuan, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Statistical dislocation activation from grain boundaries and its role in the plastic anisotropy of nanotwinned copper", Acta Materialia, (2016) 110: 8.
- R. Yuan, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Emergence of grain-size effects in nanocrystalline metals from statistical activation of discrete dislocation sources", Acta Materialia, (2015) 90: 169.
- C. Zhou, C. Reichhardt, C. J. O. Reichhardt and I. J. Beyerlein, "Dynamic Phases, Pinning, and Pattern Formation for Driven Dislocation Assemblies", Scientific Reports, (2015) 5: 8000.
- C. Zhou, J. J. Su, M. J. Graf, C. Reichhardt, A. V. Balatsky and I. J. Beyerlein, "Plastic response of dislocation glide in solid helium under dc strain-rate loading", Physical Review B, (2013) 88: 024513.
- C. Zhou and R. LeSar, "Dislocation dynamics simulations of plasticity in polycrystalline thin film", International Journal of Plasticity, (2012) 30-31: 185.
- C. Zhou, I. J. Beyerlein and R. LeSar, "Plastic deformation mechanisms of FCC single crystals at small scales", Acta Materialia, (2011) 59: 7673.
- C. Zhou, S. B. Biner, and R. LeSar, "Discrete dislocation dynamics simulations of plasticity at small scales", Acta Materialia, (2010) 58: 1565.
- C. Zhou, X. Yang, and G. Luan, "Fatigue properties of friction stir welds in 5083 Al alloy", Scripta Materialia, (2005) 53:1187.