Faculty and Staff
College of Engineering and Computing
|Phone:||(803) 777-xxxx xx|
Dr. Zhou's research focuses on understand the fundamental strengthening, deformation and failure mechanisms of advanced structural materials, by integrating both experimental and computational approaches, and provide a scientific basis for design and processing advanced materials with superior properties.
- Ph.D., Materials Science and Engineering, Iowa State University, 2010
- M.S., Materials Processing Engineering, Tianjin University, China, 2006
- B.S., Metallic Materials Science and Engineering, Tianjin University, China, 2003
- National Science Foundation (NSF) CAREER Award, 2017
- TMS Young Leaders Professional Development Award, 2015
- NSF postdoctoral travel award, "Materials Defects" workshop, UCLA, 2012
- Research Excellence Award, sponsored by Iowa State University, Ames, IA, 2010
- T. Chen, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Predicting the size scaling in strength of nanolayered materials by a discrete slip crystal plasticity model", International Journal of Plasticity, (2020) 124: 247
- S. Huang, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Unusual size effects from tilted twin boundaries in nano-twinned metals", Extreme Mechanics Letters, (2019) 32: 100571
- R. Yuan, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Homogenization of plastic deformation in heterogeneous lamella structures", Materials Research Letters, (2017) 5: 251.
- R. Yuan, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Statistical dislocation activation from grain boundaries and its role in the plastic anisotropy of nanotwinned copper", Acta Materialia, (2016) 110: 8.
- R. Yuan, I. J. Beyerlein and C. Zhou, "Emergence of grain-size effects in nanocrystalline metals from statistical activation of discrete dislocation sources", Acta Materialia, (2015) 90: 169.
- C. Zhou, C. Reichhardt, C. J. O. Reichhardt and I. J. Beyerlein, "Dynamic Phases, Pinning, and Pattern Formation for Driven Dislocation Assemblies", Scientific Reports, (2015) 5: 8000.
- C. Zhou, J. J. Su, M. J. Graf, C. Reichhardt, A. V. Balatsky and I. J. Beyerlein, "Plastic response of dislocation glide in solid helium under dc strain-rate loading", Physical Review B, (2013) 88: 024513.
- C. Zhou and R. LeSar, "Dislocation dynamics simulations of plasticity in polycrystalline thin film", International Journal of Plasticity, (2012) 30-31: 185.
- C. Zhou, I. J. Beyerlein and R. LeSar, "Plastic deformation mechanisms of FCC single crystals at small scales", Acta Materialia, (2011) 59: 7673.
- C. Zhou, S. B. Biner, and R. LeSar, "Discrete dislocation dynamics simulations of plasticity at small scales", Acta Materialia, (2010) 58: 1565.
- C. Zhou, X. Yang, and G. Luan, "Fatigue properties of friction stir welds in 5083 Al alloy", Scripta Materialia, (2005) 53:1187.