Faculty and Staff
Theodore M. Besmann
|Title:||Professor and Smart State Chair, Mechanical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
|Website:||General Atomics Center|
Dr. Besmann's research interests are related to thermochemical experiment and modeling for nuclear fuel development and in-reactor behavior, and development of advanced nuclear waste forms. This includes measurements of basic thermal properties, development of databases for use in fuel performance codes, and coupling of thermochemical models with other properties within the codes.
- Ph.D., Nuclear Engineering, Pennsylvania State University, 1976
- M.S., Nuclear Engineering, Iowa State University, 1971
- B.E., Chemical Engineering, New York University, 1970
State-of-the-Art Report on Multi-scale Modelling of Nuclear Fuels, OECD Nuclear Energy Agency, NEA/NSC/R/(2015)5. T. M. Besmann, ed. 380 pages.
J.W. McMurray, S.L. Voit, T.M. Besmann, “A Combined Experimental and Computational Thermodynamic Investigation of the U–Th–O System,” J. Am. Ceram. Soc. (2016) DOI: 10.1111/jace.14180.
S. M. Lee, T. W. Knight, J. W. McMurray, T. M. Besmann, “Measurement of the oxygen partial pressure and thermodynamic modeling of the U-Nd-O system,” J. Nucl. Mater., 473 (2016) 272-282.
J.W. McMurray, S. Hirooka, T. Murakami, K. Suzuki, J.T. White, S.L. Voit,
A.T. Nelson, B.W. Slone, T.M. Besmann, K.J. McClellan, M. Kato, “Thermodynamic assessment of the oxygen rich U-Ce-O system,” J. Nucl. Mater., 467 (2015) 588–600.
J.W. McMurray, D. Shin, T.M. Besmann, “Thermodynamic assessment of the U–La–O system,” J. Nucl. Mater., 456 (2015) 142–150.
C. M. Silva, T. B. Lindemer, S. R. Voit , R. D. Hunt, T. M. Besmann, K. A. Terrani, L. L. Snead, “Characteristics of uranium carbonitride microparticles synthesized using different reaction conditions,” J. Nucl. Mater., 454 (2014) 405–412.
- J. W. McMurray, D. Shin, B.W. Slone, T.M. Besmann, “Thermodynamic reassessment of the U–Gd–O system,” J. Nucl. Mater., 452 (1-3), (2014) 397-406.
- T.M. Besmann, M.K. Ferber, H.-T. Lin, B.P. Collin, "Fission product release and survivability of UN-kernel LWR TRISO fuel," J. Nucl. Mater., 448 (1–3), (2014) 412-419.
- M.P. Short, D. Hussey, B.K. Kendrick, T.M. BesmannC.R. Stanek, S. Yip, "Multiphysics modeling of porous CRUD deposits in nuclear reactors," J. Nucl. Mater., 443 (2013) 579-587.
- M. H. A. Piro, J. Banfield.,K. T. Clarno, S. Simunovic, T. M. Besmann,, B. J. Lewis, W. T. Thompson, "Coupled thermochemical, isotopic evolution and heat transfer simulations in highly irradiated UO2 nuclear fuel,” J. Nucl. Mater., 441 (2013) 240-251.
- T. M. Besmann, "Computational Thermodynamics”, Konings R.J.M., (ed.) Comprehensive Nuclear Materials, volume 1, pp. 455-470 Amsterdam: Elsevier, 2012.