Technology Resources for Incoming Students
Welcome to UofSC! The Division of Information Technology (DoIT) offers technology
support and assistance during your years as a UofSC student. Here are some helpful
How Can We Help?
Technology Support Available
The DoIT Service Desk is your single point of contact for computer, technology and IT-related questions and support. Here are the ways you can get support:
- Submit a request online through our Self-Service Portal
- Search the online Knowledge Base for instructional articles that help you troubleshoot technology issues on your own, at any time of day.
- Chat online with a Service Desk technician. Available Monday-Friday, 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m.
- Call the Service Desk at 803-777-1800. Available Monday-Friday, 8 a.m.-6 p.m.
Carolina Tech Zone
The Carolina Tech Zone (CTZ) provides hands-on technology support for all students. Their services include connecting to the network, installing software, diagnosing computer problems, removing viruses, providing mobile support and more.
The CTZ is open Monday-Friday, 8 a.m. – 6 p.m. during the fall and spring semesters. The CTZ is in the process of moving locations and will now be located at 901 Sumter St. Suite 119.
*The CTZ will resume operations when campus reopens.
Computer Information and Discounts:
A computer is highly recommended, but not required. We support Macs, Windows, and Linux. If you bring it, we can support it.
- Apple and Dell offer student discounts on computer purchases.
- To get education pricing at Apple, take your CarolinaCard with you to any Apple Store or go to the Apple Education Store online and use your student email to verify you are a university student.
- When purchasing a computer from Dell, go to the university’s membership page at Dell.
Free Microsoft Office 365
Microsoft Office 365 is available for free for as long as you are a student at the university. It includes the latest versions of Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook, OneNote and more for both Mac and Windows. You can install Office 365 on up to five computers and five mobile devices. Also included is OneDrive, an online file service that provides you with 50GB of free cloud storage to store your documents and access them from any device, anywhere. More information and download instructions are available in the Knowledge Base.
Software and Antivirus
The DoIT offers a variety of software to students, faculty, staff through the university’s agreements with vendors for both personal and university purchase. Most software is available at discounted rates or, in some cases, the software is free. Students can visit our Software page or take a trip to the CTZ for assistance with downloading software.
Students must have current antivirus software installed and activated and all critical operating system updates completed on your computer before you can connect it to the campus network. Antivirus software is included with Microsoft Windows; however, it is not included on Macs. If your computer does not have antivirus software, you can download Microsoft Security Essentials for Windows or Sophos for the Mac free of charge by going to my.sc.edu and clicking on “Purchase computer software." If you prefer, the Carolina Tech Zone can install antivirus software for you.