Faculty and Staff
Christy A. Jeffcoat, DNP, MSN, RN
|College of Nursing|
College of Nursing
Christy Jeffcoat has 20 years nursing practice experience in High Risk Obstetrics, Labor & Delivery, Maternal/Neonatal, and Adult Cardiac Critical Care. She began her career as a Licensed Practical Nurse in 1998 as a graduate from Midlands Technical College, followed by her Associates Degree in Nursing in 2001. Dr. Jeffcoat completed her BSN in 2014 from Oklahoma Wesleyan University and her Master of Science in Nursing Administration in 2016 from Oklahoma Wesleyan University. During her eighteen years bedside nursing practice, Dr. Jeffcoat identified the lack of evidence-based best practice policies and protocols in healthcare, thus resulting in negative maternal/neonatal outcomes. These experiences and her drive to pursue a career in nursing research and academia, prompted her to enter the Doctor of Nursing Practice program at the University of Alabama Huntsville. She graduated Summa Cum Laude in May 2019 with her Doctorate in Nursing Practice degree.
Doctor of Nursing Practice, University of Alabama, Huntsville
Summa Cum Laude
Honors Deans List College of Nursing
Honors Selection: The National Society of Leadership and Success
Master of Science in Nursing Administration, Oklahoma Wesleyan University
Magna Cum Laude
Bachelor of Science in Nursing, Oklahoma Wesleyan University
Associate of Science in Nursing, Midlands Technical College
Licensed Practical Nursing, Midlands Technical College
Dr. Jeffcoat is currently a Clinical Assistant Professor with the University of South Carolina College of Nursing and teaches Women’s Health in the undergraduate program. She was previously a faculty member at Midlands Technical College, where she taught High Risk Obstetrics in the Associates Degree in Nursing program.
Dr. Jeffcoat’s research interests focus on women’s health, maternal mental health, lateral violence in nursing, Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis, and humility in nursing leadership.
- 2019 Research Poster Presenter: Postpartum Depression Screening, Postpartum Support International Annual Conference.
- 2019 Podium Presenter: Postpartum Depression Screening, Lexington Women’s Care Sandhills
- 2020 Podium Presenter: Humility in Nursing Leadership, Amy V. Cockroft Leadership Fellowship, University of South Carolina.
Dr. Jeffcoat is a member of Phi Kappa Phi National Honor Society, Sigma Theta Tau National Nursing Honor Society, National League of Nursing, Association of Women’s Health, Obstetrics, and Neonatal Nurses, Postpartum Support International, and serves as an ambassador and advocate for the Arthritis Foundation.
Dr. Jeffcoat has 20 years nursing practice experience in High Risk Obstetrics, Labor & Delivery, Maternal/Neonatal, and Adult Cardiac Critical Care in the hospital practice setting of Prisma Health and Lexington Medical Center located in Columbia, South Carolina.
Research Studies (Selected)
- Implementation of a Risk Factor Screening Tool for Early Detection of Postpartum Depression in the Prenatal Setting, University of Alabama Huntsville.
- Implementation of Strategies to Reduce Test Anxiety in Associate Degree Nursing Students, Midlands Technical College.
- Integration of APA Instruction Seminar for Improvement of Nursing Science Writing in an Associate Degree Nursing Program, Midlands Technical College.
Jeffcoat, C. (2019). Implementation of a risk factor screening tool for early detection of postpartum depression in the prenatal setting. ProQuest Publication.