About the Summer Technical Workshops
PMECS - College of Engineering and Computing | University of South Carolina
Summer Technical Residential Workshops
Upperclassmen: June 24 - 29, 2018
Freshmen: June 26 - June 29, 2018*
*This is a four-day residential workshop for eighth grade students who will enter their freshman year of high school in the Fall of 2018.
Summer Day Workshop
Day Camp: June 11 - June 15, 2018
For all workshops, emphasis will be placed on deductive and inductive thinking through creative problem solving. The activities are designed to be fun and challenging. The objectives of the seminar include:
- Stimulating increased interest in applied math and science problems.
- Familiarizing academically qualified minority students with career opportunities in engineering and engineering-related fields.
- Informing students of the high school prerequisites necessary for eventually entering a college of engineering.
- Inspiring students toward excellence in their high school course work.
A closing ceremony will be prepared for participants and their parents on the final day of the workshop. The program will serve as an opportunity for parents to meet the coordinator and volunteers who can offer encouragement in fostering students’ academic excellence, and in ensuring that the students choose a high school curriculum which will leave all options open. High-achieving minority students will be honored after their fourth year in the program
- The activities are all-expense-paid (except spending money), courtesy of the sponsoring corporations.
- A $75.00 registration fee must accompany the student’s application payable to PMECS.
- If a school sends a check on behalf of students, please enclose a listing of the students covered by the check. This will be fully refunded if the student is not accepted.
- A limited number of $75.00 grants are available, (at the request of the counselor) to those students who are financially unable to secure the registration fee.
In order to fulfill the nomination criteria for participating in the workshop students must:
- Be a minority (African American, Native American or Hispanic)
- Be a rising 9th through 12th grader
- Have a minimum overall (B) grade-point average (a few exceptions will be made for underachievers with extremely high potential)
Applications are due April 13, 2018. A completed application must include:
- The completed Partners for Minorities in Engineering and Computer Science Application Form.
- The completed School Nomination Form completed by a school representative
- Mail a current transcript that includes grades from the current school year*
- Mail the $75.00 registration fee must accompany the student’s application payable to PMECS*
- OPTIONAL: Mail any letters of recommendation which you would like to include*
University of South Carolina
315 Main street
1A04 Swearingen Center
Columbia, SC 29208