Faculty and Staff
|Title:||Distinguished Professor Emeritus, Chemical Engineering
|College of Engineering and Computing|
Swearingen Engineering Center
Ph.D., Stanford University, 1979
M.S., Stanford University, 1974
B.S.E., Princeton University, 1973
The main theme of Prof. Gadala-Maria's research is relating the microstructure of materials to their macroscopic properties. The principal techniques used by him and his collaborators are rheological measurements and digital image processing. Past research projects include the correlation of the rheological and electrical properties of concentrated suspensions of non-colloidal particles to the shear-induced anisotropic arrangement of the suspended particles, and the effect of shear prior to curing on the arrangement of the inclusions and on the final properties of composite materials. The results from these projects may be useful in the manufacture of products as diverse as solid rocket propellants and bipolar plates for fuel cells. The technique developed to measure the orientation distribution of fibers in short-fiber composites may find application in the manufacture of products such as paper and non-woven textiles. Other projects include studies of the rheology of the solder pastes and other industrial materials, and the effect of the rheology of fresh concrete on the settlement of its aggregates before curing. Current projects include the rheology of bulk molding compounds, the rheology of natural polysaccharides, and the economics of the production of hydrogen from nuclear power.
- Venkata Giri Kolli, Emily J. Pollauf, and Francis Gadala-Maria, “Transient Normal Force Response in a Concentrated Suspension of Spherical Particles,” Journal of Rheology 46, 321 - 334, 2002.
- Chandis R. Brasington and F. Gadala-Maria, "Decrease in Fluorescence and Phosphorescence Intensity of Nylon 66 Impurities by Exposure to Ultraviolet Radiation," Journal of Applied Polymer Science 55, 687 - 697, 1995.
- F. Gadala-Maria and F. Parsi, "Measurement of Fiber Orientation in Short-Fiber Composites Using Digital Image Processing," Polymer Composites 14, 126 - 131, 1993.
- F. Parsi and F. Gadala-Maria, "Fore-and-Aft Asymmetry in a Concentrated Suspension of Solid Spheres," Journal of Rheology 31, 725 - 732, 1987.
- F. Gadala-Maria and A. Acrivos, "Shear-Induced Structure in a Concentrated Suspension of Solid Spheres," Journal of Rheology 24, 799 - 814, 1980.