Skip to Content

University Registrar

student studying on the Russell House patio

Transfer Credits

The registrar's office manages the process for evaluating and integrating transfer courses into your academic record.

Transient Transcript Processing: Continuing Students

Students wishing to take coursework at another regionally accredited institution need to first seek permission from their advisor and dean via a Special Enrollment Request Form [pdf].  If the courses indicated on the form are not already listed in the transfer equivalency tables, they will be sent to subject matter experts for evaluation.  Students wishing to take courses elsewhere should check the tables for the current evaluation or complete the Course Evaluation Request Form if the course is not listed.  Once the course or courses have been completed, be sure to have an official transcript sent (in a sealed/unopened envelope) directly from the institution to the USC Columbia registrar’s office.  Transcripts that have been opened or unsealed or that are not official cannot be accepted.

Transfer Transcript Processing: Transfer Students

Transfer students should coordinate with the Office of Undergraduate Admissions regarding the receipt of all application materials, including official transcripts and final grades. Unevaluated coursework will be evaluated by subject matter experts after transcripts are checked-in and processed by the admissions office. Transfer students should use the transfer equivalency tables to check for existing course evaluations or complete the Course Evaluation Request Form if the course is not listed

Transfer Equivalency Tables

Use these tables to get a general idea how courses at other institutions may equate to courses here at the university. Information is subject to change and is not a guarantee of course credit. 


Transfer Terminology

Use these definitions to better understand the transfer process.

Transferability: the conditions under which the university accepts credit from other post-secondary regionally accredited institutions for inclusion in the student’s record. Coursework classified as remedial will not be used to help a student earn admission. Courses that are occupational or technical in nature may be included in the student’s record for the purpose of determining scholarship and admission eligibility, but these courses are generally not applicable toward a degree.

Equivalency: the equating of transfer credit, both in hours and content, to University of South Carolina coursework.

Applicability: the prerogative of the academic divisions to count specific credit toward the fulfillment of a student’s degree requirements. The student’s college or school of enrollment is responsible for determining applicability.

Carolina Core

All undergraduates share a common academic foundation: the Carolina Core. The Carolina Core develops competency in communication, analytical reasoning, problem solving, scientific literacy, information literacy, the arts and other foundational areas. 

Effective Fall 2017, if a transfer course has been granted a USC equivalent that meets any Carolina Core requirement(s), including Overlays, the transfer course will also meet the Core requirement(s).

For information regarding the transfer of Carolina Core requirements prior to Fall 2017, contact your academic advisor.

USC Subject Codes

Most subject codes correspond to USC subjects or departments. For example, HIST stands for History, CHEM for Chemistry. Here are some common codes that are not department specific.

  • UNEL (University Elective Credit): Credit that is not department specific. This is usually used for courses that do not fit within an existing USC department.
  • HUMA (Humanities): Credit that does not fit into a specific USC department but that is based in the Humanities.
  • SSCI (Social Sciences): Credit that does not fit into a specific USC department but that is based in the Social Sciences.
  • SCIN (Natural Sciences): Credit that does not fit into a specific USC department but that is based in the Natural Sciences.
  • REME (Remedial): Remedial courses are courses taken at a level below those offered at USC.
  • TECH (Technical): Technical courses are those that are based in the trades or otherwise vocational in nature.
  • NACC (No Credit): No-credit courses are courses that are neither remedial nor technical, but that do not earn USC credit.
  • TRAN SFER (Transfer): Courses that transfer into the University of South Carolina but have not yet received a USC equivalency. The Office of the University Registrar will assign actual equivalencies to the transfer course as soon as the equivalency determined by the appropriate department.

Elective Credits

You may see notations related to electives in addition to the UNEL subject code noted above. If a course is coming in as elective credit, you will see an equivalent of 00XT where x = a number to indicate the level. For example, if a course comes in as ANTH 003T, it counts as a 300-level Anthropology elective.

If you are earning elective credit, the title of the course will usually indicate that with the use of the term "elective" in the course title field followed by the original subject, number and title of the course that has been transferred to USC.