Join us at UofSC Columbia for Duke TIP Academic Adventures! Our classes do fill quickly so register early. Our next courses will be offered during the fall semester of 2021 so please check back.
Program Basics and Registration
- Courses are held at USC-Columbia on Saturdays.
- Tuition is $130 per course per date.
- Registration is from 9:30 to 10 a.m.
- Class meets from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. with a break for lunch.
- Scholars can enroll in one class per program date and enjoy hands-on learning experiences in academic topics that might not be available in your local schools.
- Program is only open to students currently in grades 4 - 6 (students grade level). Some exceptions may be made.
- Class size is limited to 16 students per course, unless otherwise noted.
Costs and Acceptance
- Tuition is $130 per program date and includes lunch and all academic activities and material.
- Limited, partial financial aid is available for qualified applicants.
- To register, complete the online registration form and pay the required fee online. Be sure to have your Duke TIP ID on hand to register. If you do not know your Duke TIP ID number, please contact Duke TIP. You do not need to provide your Test Scores as asked on the application, we will only need your Duke TIP number.
- Full course payment is required at the time of registration and is non-refundable.
- Courses are filled on a first-come, first served basis.
- Applicants who cannot be placed in the selected course will be placed on a waiting list and notified of waitlist status if/when a course becomes available.
- Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance forms will be sent by email within five business days.
- A course reminder email with course location and details will be sent approximately one week before the class start date.
- All participants must be covered by health insurance.
- If a student is unable to attend, please notify us at email@example.com immediately.
Limited, partial financial aid is available for qualified applicants in the amount of $65. These partial scholarships are on a first-come, first-served basis to families who demonstrate need. Each student may only receive financial aid once during the 2021-2022 academic year.
When applying for financial aid, submit the following:
- a completed online profile
- a completed paper Duke TIP Academic Adventures application
- the balance payment of $65
- a copy of your Family's 2020 or 2021 Federal Income Tax Return (1040) with applicable schedules
and mail to USC Continuing Education and Conferences, Close/Hipp Building at 1705 College Street, Suite 591, Columbia, SC 29208. You may also fax this information to 803-777-2663.
Scholarships will only be given to students who submit all items at the same time. Upon acceptance, additional information including acceptance forms will be sent by email. Your $65 balance payment will not be processed unless you are awarded a scholarship. You will be contacted within five business days after receipt of your information.
Application and course fees for Duke TIP Academic Adventures are nonrefundable. Course
fees are refunded only if the course is not offered by the University of South Carolina
or if the applicant is not accepted. If full course payment is not received by the
due date stated in the Student’s Acceptance Forms or at least two weeks prior to the
program date, the student’s space in the class will be released and any payments made
prior to this time will be forfeited. Cancellations will result in forfeiture of payment
except in cases of illness (with doctor’s note on letterhead) or death of an immediate
The liability of the University of South Carolina is limited to the registration fee, and the University will not be responsible for any losses incurred by registrants or their families, including but not limited to airline cancellation charges or hotel deposits. Refunds take four to six weeks to process. The University reserves the right to cancel and refund all registration fees for any course due to circumstances beyond our control, including insufficient enrollment.
More about Duke TIP
The Duke University Talent Identification Program (Duke TIP) is a nonprofit organization that serves academically gifted and talented youth. Students in the fourth, fifth, and sixth grades may participate in Duke TIP's 4th–6th Grade Talent Search. Students can become involved in the Talent Search by meeting the requirements based on many standardized tests. These tests and the accepted scores differ from each state. For example, South Carolina may use these standardized tests: Iowa, MAP, ACT Explore, or PASS exams which are given at schools. Other admission factors may include IQ or Gifted Talented testing.
You may also apply for the 7th Grade Talent Search if you missed the 4th-6th Grade Talent Search. Duke TIP students may take advantage of its above-level testing such as the PSAT, PACT, ACT or SAT.
Students in the program are eligible to attend and participate in programs through Duke TIP including sponsored programs like Duke TIP Academic Adventures at the University of South Carolina and Carolina Master Scholars Adventure Series summer program at University of South Carolina. There are also independent and distance learning courses available through Duke TIP. Visit the Duke TIP website to learn more about the program and how to apply.