Skip to Content

SC Institute for Archeology and Anthropology

  • Banner Image


During the search for Charlesfort along the southern shoreline of Parris Island in 1989, the Martime Research Division scoured Means Creek with a magnetometer and visual reconnaissance to locate evidence the French fortification. A number of magnetic anomalies were investigated and revealed only modern debris, primarily metal flare casings associated with the Marine Corps night training. Visual inspection along the shoreline also did not uncover clues to the presence of the French fort. Since that time, Charlesfort has been discovered under the remains of the first Spanish fort at Santa Elena following further analysis of the ceramic assemblage and archaeological features conducted by Drs. Stanley South and Chester DePratter. In addition to the 1989 survey for the fort, the MRD conducted a survey off the mouth of Means Creek in the Beaufort River for the 16th century corsair, Le Prince, lost in Port Royal Sound in 1577.

Related Information

1990. South, Stanley, DePratter, Chester B., and Thompson, Bruce F. "Underwater Survey at Parris Island. Charlesfort: The 1989 Search Project." South Carolina Institute of Archeology and Anthropology. University of South Carolina. Columbia, South Carolina. pp. 64-72.

SC Institute for Archeology and Anthropology

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.