The University of South Carolina is seeking On-Site Residential Counselors for the
2020 PowerUP Career Academy for Students with Disabilities
Do you enjoy working with high school students? Or are you planning a career that involves working with students with special needs? Come share your love of USC with others and give back by being a mentor to our PowerUP 2020 summer program participants. We are looking for dedicated people who will serve as Residential Counselors for students with special needs.
- Serve as an overnight, on-site counselor and mentor for a team of three to four high school students with varying disabilities.
- Be responsible for the daily care of your team to include supervising meals, bed-checks and waking up students each day.
- Review daily schedules with your team to ensure they are prepared for their day.
- Work alongside instructors, attending classes with students, supervising students during classroom experiences and conference events.
- Provide individualized support for assignments and projects.
- Follow confidentiality guidelines involving all student information.
- Escort students to off campus field studies making sure all USC risk management policies are followed.
- Facilitate a daily debriefing session at the end of each day and submit a report summarizing the session.
- Handle day-to-day needs including general camp preparations including preparing residence hall rooms, inspecting for needed repairs, preparing information packets, inventorying supplies and issuing and collecting keys.
- Present a positive image of the University of South Carolina by means of a tidy appearance, a pleasant and helpful disposition, a positive attitude and responsive action.
- Provide the utmost respect at all times to students, counselors, instructors and University staff.
- Other duties as assigned.
Dates of Employment for 2020
Training Week: Monday, June 08 – Thursday, June 12 from 9:00 a.m. – 5:00 p.m.
Residential Live-In and On Call 24/7:
Session 1: Beginning at 2:00 p.m. June 16 through June 20 at 6:00 p.m.
Session 2: Beginning at 2:00 p.m. July 07 through July 11 at 6:00 p.m.
Session 3: Beginning at 2:00 p.m. July 21 through July 25 at 6:00 p.m.
- Compensation is $5000.00 for training week and all three sessions
- On-campus housing included
- Includes some meals (breakfast, lunch and/or dinner) at selected conference-dining facilities when monitoring participants or scheduled to work a shift
Contact our office if you have questions.