May 5, 2023 is the final day to upload videos to Stream Classic
Microsoft has announced that Microsoft Stream Classic will be retired and replaced with Stream on SharePoint. To accommodate the change being made by Microsoft, the Division of IT will move user content from Microsoft Stream Classic to Stream on SharePoint over the summer of 2023.
What is the impact?
- University employees and students will be able to upload videos to Stream (Classic) until May 5, 2023.
- After May 5, users will be redirected to upload new videos to Stream (on SharePoint).
- Access to previously uploaded videos in Stream Classic will not be lost until they are moved to Stream (on SharePoint)or the Classic service is disabled.
What do users need to do?
- Start using the new Stream (on SharePoint).
- In preparation for the migration, please delete any videos that are no longer needed from Stream (Classic).
What is the university timeline?
- May - June 2023: DoIT will be scan/prepare to move videos for users and groups from Microsoft Stream (Classic) to Microsoft Stream (on SharePoint). NOTE: Company-wide channels will not be migrated.
- June 2023: DoIT will move videos hosted within groups from Microsoft Stream (Classic) to Microsoft Stream (on SharePoint).
- June - Sept. 2023: DoIT will move videos hosted by users from Microsoft Stream (Classic) to Microsoft Stream (on SharePoint). Moves will occur in order by the first initial of the last name. Users will not need to request their migrations. Requests for expedited migration cannot be accommodated.
- Oct. 15, 2023: University users will no longer have access to Stream (Classic).
What is the difference between Stream Classic and Stream (on SharePoint)?
- Stream (Classic) acts as a single video portal where your videos can’t be easily managed/shared like your other files within Microsoft 365.
- Stream (on SharePoint) will allow you to use/manage access to videos like any other files directly in Teams, SharePoint, and OneDrive.
- Learn about Stream (on SharePoint) vs Stream (Classic): https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/office/stream-on-sharepoint-vs-stream-classic-guide-1601aec0-49a1-48e1-9eaa-408bcbc11f72
Can users continue to use Stream Classic?
- Until October 2023, you can access both Stream (Classic) and Stream (on SharePoint).
- When you log in to portal.office.com and select Stream you will automatically be taken to Stream (on SharePoint).
- USC IT Knowledge Base Article
- Learn More about Stream (on SharePoint) – Microsoft Support
- Features of Stream (on SharePoint)
- Stream (on SharePoint) FAQs
Questions or concerns?
- Please contact the IT Service Desk via the Self Service Portal.