The Magellan Guarantee Award
- student salary of up to $1,500 per recipient
- up to $500 for mentor supplement (details below)
- funds research, scholarly and creative projects
You must be:
- a TRiO Ronald E. McNair Scholar (any UofSC campus)
- a full-time degree-seeking UofSC undergraduate
- working under the guidance of a faculty, staff or community mentor.
You may be awarded the Magellan Guarantee a maximum of two times, as long as you provide evidence of satisfactory progress during your first award period. Please note that preference is given to students who have not received funding previously.
Are you interested in this program but do not have a mentor or project? Do you want to try a new project? We can help! Make an appointment with us to discuss your interests and the program.
- Complete the Program Application Form [word].
Complete this first, working with your mentor. You will need it for the next step.
- Submit the online application form.
Select "Magellan Guarantee" from the menu. Under "Magellan Programs Application," upload the Program Application Form that you completed with your mentor under #1 above.
- Have your mentor submit the mentor collaboration form [word].
Your mentor should complete the form and email it to email@example.com. It is due by 5 p.m. on your deadline date. Your application is not complete until we receive this form.
You may not submit an application during the same semester when you are graduating. You must be enrolled for one full semester after the award date of the grant.
TRiO McNair Scholars: Thursday, September 16, 2021 by 5 p.m.
NOTE: if funds remain available after the deadlines above, applications may be considered on a rolling basis. Late applications will be reviewed on a first come, first served basis until funds expended. Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org if considering a late submission.
TRiO McNair Scholars: by October 1st
The award funds may only be used as follows:
- $1500 for student salary (see below on how to get paid); up to $500 of this can be used for travel expenses
(US travel only) to conduct research (such as data collection) or for conference travel
(with proof of presentation acceptance; proof required at time of travel authorization,
NOT at time of application). Student awards cannot be used for materials/supplies.
- $500 to the mentor for professional development expenses, research supplies/materials including student project expenses (if desired), and/or academic related travel (for mentor and/or student).
Fill out hiring paperwork
To start the hiring process, email Ms. Geneva Currie (email@example.com) in the TRiO Programs Office.
Report the hours you've worked
Record your time through UofSC's Time/Labor Management System AND on the Magellan Guarantee timesheet [word]. The timesheet must be approved by your mentor before submission.
Submitting Your Timesheet
Your mentor-approved Magellan Guarantee time sheet must be submitted to Geneva Currie in the TRiO Programs Office (1400 Wheat Street; firstname.lastname@example.org) within 15 days of the period listed on the sheet, or you will not be paid for those hours.
Keep in mind ...
- You may NOT work more hours per week than indicated on your contract.
- Carefully monitor your hours. Awards end once your salary is expended.
Work with your mentor toward completing your research project as outlined in your contract. (Hours per week, pay rate and tasks will be defined by the mentor and student.)
Manage grant requirements through Blackboard, including completing the welcome quiz within one month of your award date.
Register your project at the beginning of the semester that your grant starts, and re-register every semester you work on the project.
Fulfill compliance requirements for projects involving human or animal subjects and/or research abroad.
To get paid: submit your hours every week in a timely manner. This requires BOTH the Magellan Guarantee timesheets AND UofSC's Time/Labor Management System See above for instructions.
Attend monthly program meetings and/or professional development workshops as directed.
Present your research at Discover UofSC with a poster. Be sure to register by the deadline.
Complete a 1-2 page project report [pdf].
NOTE: All Magellan Guarantee recipients are encouraged to publish their work in Caravel, UofSC's undergraduate research journal.