What Is Expected of You
- Assist your student in development and articulation of the project idea and plan. (Please note: the student is the primary author of the proposal but should work in collaboration with you through the editing process.)
- Help your student understand the methods and concepts of research and scholarship within your field.
- Guide and train your student in the skills and/or techniques needed to complete the project (including compliance with human subjects/IRB and animal care and use).
- Be available during the project period. You and your student should establish ground rules and expectations during the planning stage.
- Oversee and manage account expenditures. Mentors and students are responsible for overages.
- Ensure your student meets the program requirements, terms and conditions.
Faculty members planning sabbaticals during the Magellan Mini-Grant project period must identify a secondary mentor during this period or consider alternatives.
Some mentors have found it helpful to develop a research contract that can assist in establishing duties, expectations, and deadlines. This contract template [doc] may be helpful and can be modified to fit your needs.