Finding a Student
We promote research positions, work-study openings, volunteer opportunities and research-based events. We'll share the information to our newsletter, social media, partner offices and, if appropriate, targeted student groups.
Options for sharing your research through OUR:
- Review and update your entry in the OUR Faculty Research Database. Students can use this to get a glimpse of research across the system and identify potential mentors.
- Is your project suitable for an undergraduate with no or limited research experience and likely in their first-year at UofSC? If so, consider submitting the opportunity for the OUR early researcher grants. More information and application here.
- Are you seeking more advanced or experienced undergraduates? Please submit your experience through the Research Opportunity Submission Form below or email email@example.com directly with project details. We'll be in touch with next steps.
Being a Mentor
Students' primary activity should be engaging in scholarly work. However, they should also be a part of or exposed to all aspects of the research process, including the nonglamorous (dishwashing, finding and copying articles, filing, entering data, etc.).
What is Expected of You
- Assist your student in the development and articulation of the project idea and plan. (Please note: the student is the primary author for all undergraduate research proposals and awards.)
- Help your student understand the methods and concepts of research and scholarship within your field.
- Guide and train your student in the skills and/or techniques needed to complete the project (including assistance with human subject compliance/IRB and animal care and use compliance).
- Be available during the project period. You and your student should establish ground rules and expectations during the planning stage. Faculty planning sabbaticals during the project period should identify a secondary mentor during this time or consider alternatives.
Some mentors have found it helpful to develop a research contract, which can assist
in establishing duties, expectations and deadlines. You can use this contract template [doc] or modify it to fit your needs.
Bringing Students Into Your Research
OUR Funding »
We offer a number of grants to support undergraduate research.
Funding Around Campus »
There are many funding options specific to a student's college, background and interests.
National Fellowships and Scholar Programs »
Students can apply for national funding programs here and overseas.
Federal Work-Study Program »
Funding for part-time jobs for students who are eligible for financial aid
Keep in mind ...
Many students are looking for the experience, and pay is not their priority, so volunteering or independent study for credit may be good options.
Your department’s business manager or administrative assistant will hire the student through the student hire system directly onto your grant. They will need to know:
- the student's name
- the student's Social Security number
- the hourly wage
- the maximum hours per week (no more than 20 during the academic year)
- the start and end date
- the appropriate account number
The student will also need to be trained in ITAMS.
Please check in with your program director as some grants will add funds specifically to provide stipend or salary support for undergraduate researchers, particularly for students underrepresented in research.
Students can earn one to three credits for working on the research project through an independent study.
Opportunities are available for students to share research at UofSC and beyond.
Ask the meeting organizers
Many professional societies and meetings provide reduced registration rates for students or student travel awards.
Check with your department
Some departments offer funding for students to travel and present work.
Magellan Voyager Award
Funding through our office for students to travel for presentations
Student population specific programs
Many programs around the system have funds to student presentation travel based on student eligibility. For example:
- UofSC Upstate student travel award
- South Carolina Honors College
- Capstone Scholar Program
- Preston Residential College
- Green Quad / Sustainable Carolina
- and more!!
We can help with this. Have your student contact us.