The Magellan Voyager Award
- up to $500 per recipient for travel expenses to share research
- for travel to regional, national and international meetings
- can cover airfare, mileage, lodging and/or registration
Applications are now open for 2021-2022 conference presentations!
You must apply at least 30 days prior to travel
but are encouraged to apply early since funding is limited.
You must be:
- a USC undergraduate
- traveling to present research (not to conduct research or network only).
- If you are eligible for funding through other sources (Honors, Capstone, academic department, etc), you must apply for additional funding and indicate so in application.
- Preference will be given to applicants:
- with no other funding options
- who have not received the Magellan Voyager previously nor other undergraduate research awards.
You may be awarded the Magellan Voyager a maximum of two times.
Awards are not limited to students receiving additional funds through our office.
- Prepare a single document that includes:
- a letter (500-word maximum) describing why you want to attend the event, how you expect to benefit from the event and how attending will impact your future plans
- a copy of your abstract or summary of your project (should include the title and authors, or equivalent)
- proof of abstract submission (copy of your submission page or email from conference)
Complete the Magellan Voyager application
Make sure you know your estimated budget before applying. Upload your document with letter, abstract and proof of submission with your application.
If you are awarded the Magellan Voyager:
You will be asked to submit confirmation of your abstract acceptance to the conference to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Applications are now being accepted for conference presentations during 2021-2022.
You must apply at least 30 days prior to travel but are encouraged to apply earlier since funding is limited.
Allowable Travel Expenses
Keep in mind the maximum amount you can request is $500, and many purchases are only available for funding via reimbursement.
Airfare and ground transportation
Airline tickets can be purchased online by you, your mentor, or a family member.
In many cases, airline tickets purchased prior to receiving the Magellan Voyager award can be reimbursed, although this is not guaranteed.
Ground transportation to and from the conference site is an allowable expense.
Mileage (if using a personal car)
We will reimburse you for mileage using the university rate if all the following apply:
- you use a personal vehicle
- the meeting is more than an hour from Columbia
- you are traveling alone (no one else from your group is going).
Transporation to a destination should be by the most economical and practical means. For a round trip that is less than 500 miles, motor vehicle transportation is considered best.
We expect that you will stay in the same hotel as other members of your group and that your group will share hotel rooms when possible. We assume you will stay in a safe but economical hotel. Your lodging costs must conform to the maximum lodging rate established for the location by the U.S. General Services Administration.
If the conference reduces or waives registration fees for students, you must choose that option.
We will not pay late registration fees.
It may be possible for OUR to prepay your registration directly to the conference (rather than by reimbursement). This option is ONLY available to students who apply at least six weeks before the conference and email email@example.com to request this option.
- Keep your receipts! They are required for reimbursement.
- Return your receipts to our office within five days of returning from your conference, or you may be denied reimbursement.
You must acknowledge our office on your poster or in your talk:
"Travel partially supported by the USC Office of Undergraduate Research Magellan Voyager travel award."
You must complete pre-travel paperwork with OUR:
OUR will contact you to complete pre-travel authorization. This must be complete prior to travel to be eligible for reimbursement.
You must submit receipts within five days of returning:
Receipts not submitted within five days of returning from the conference may not be eligible for reimbursement.
Attending a Meeting as a Group
Support to attend a conference cannot exceed $2,000, or $500 each for up to four students. So eight students could attend the same conference, but the maximum award would be $250 each.