The Undergraduate Research Enhancement Program (UREP)
- Up to $1000 per recipient towards salary, materials and supplies
- For projects in collaboration with a College of Arts & Sciences faculty sponsor
- Funds research, scholarship, and creative activities
You must be:
- Enrolled in a 3-credit hour independent study for undergraduate research with a CAS course designation
- USC undergraduate major in the College of Arts and Sciences
- In good academic standing with the university
- Working under the guidance of a CAS faculty sponsor
Faculty Mentor Eligibility
- Mentors must be faculty (tenured, tenure-track, or NTT) in the College of Arts and Sciences
- Only one UREP award per academic year per mentor
The following must all be submitted as attachments in one email to email@example.com.
- Complete the Program Application Form.
Includes sections for Project Overview, Research Compliance and Budget.
NOTE: If you applied for but did not receive the Magellan Scholar Award, you may forward the proposal in lieu of the Program Application form. However, you must clarify your budget needs (also note that the maximum budget for UREP is $1000).
Include a one-page letter from your faculty sponsor that details your role in the research project and their mentoring plan for your research experience.
NOTE: A completed and signed independent study contract is required for consideration. This must be a CAS designated 3-credit independent study.
Submit the required items listed above as attachments in one email to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Allowable costs for UREP award
- All expenditures must be in compliance with federal and state laws as well as university policies and procedures.
- Keep in mind the maximum amount you can request is $1000.
- Work with your mentor and department to determine what is needed to complete your project. Funds can be used for student salary (at $10/hour + 0.6% fringe benefits) or necessary supplies (taking note of unallowed costs below).
Costs not allowed for UREP award
- Computer (includes laptop, desktop, etc.)
- Travel, including meeting registration fees
- Books that can be found through the UofSC library or via interlibrary loan
- Senior thesis printing costs
- Any item that does not have a receipt
For Spring semester courses
The deadline to submit an application for Spring 2023 is December 5, 2022.
Summer and Fall courses
The deadline to submit an application for Summer/Fall 2023 is May 1. 2023.
Award Announcement - VARIES
Typically, you will be notified if you have been selected to receive the award 1 week before the first day of classes of the semester of the independent study project. However, if the deadline is extended, awardees will be notified within 1-2 weeks of the deadline.
Submit a title and brief summary (Abstract, 1-2 paragraphs) of your research and results to email@example.com by the end of the grant term.
UREP awards are limited to one per student each academic year and one per mentor each academic year.
You may not be receiving funds for a Magellan Scholar or Honors College grant at the same time as receiving this award. However, you may apply for these grants while you have funding from a UREP award (and we encourage you to do so).
Students receiving other types of CIEL or Magellan Awards who are enrolled in an independent study have an award limit of $500 and any excess funds requested must be detailed and clearly justified.
Note: Preference will be given to students without undergraduate research funding from other sources.