Skip to Content

College of Social Work

Social Work students at computer

Certificate Programs

The College of Social Work offers for-credit graduate certificates and non-credit courses and certificate programs. Whether you are looking to enhance your graduate degree or simply earn new credentials in a specialized field, you can find the program to meet your needs.

Graduate Certificate Programs

The College of Social Work offers three graduate certificate programs to provide opportunities for in-depth study in a focused field of practice. The certificate programs are intensive for-credit plans of study, designed to meet the needs for trained social workers in high-demand fields of practice.

Drug and Addiction Studies

Industry, education, social services, criminal justice, treatment centers and research institutes increasingly demand staff trained in drug and addiction studies. To meet this need for qualified personnel, the University of South Carolina offers the Certificate of Graduate Study in Drug and Addiction Studies.

The certificate provides post-baccalaureate students with opportunities to develop broad competencies in preparation for employment in a range of fields addressing alcohol and drug-related problems.

The program is interdisciplinary and involves faculty and courses from several academic departments, including criminology and criminal justice, public health, medicine, social work and psychology. The program’s faculty is composed of professionals and researchers prepared to provide students with a range of knowledge in the areas of education, prevention, treatment and enforcement in traditional classroom and experiential contexts.

The program is designed for completion of 18 hours of credit in three to four academic semesters. Students gain a broad perspective on the alcohol and drug field through the core curriculum before specializing in one of three areas of emphasis: counseling, research or prevention.

MSW students can request concurrent enrollment by emailing Program Director Rhonda DiNovo.

Curriculum Requirements

All students are required to take:

  • SOWK 758: Dynamics of Substance Abuse

Students are required to take two of the following:

  • SOWK 752: Social Work Intervention in Substance Abuse
  • HPEB 742: Alcohol, Drugs, and Public Health Policy
  • HPEB 540: Drug Prevention
  • HPEB 542: Tobacco Prevention and Control in Public Health
  • PSYC 503: Psychology of Drug Use and Effect
  • NPSY 760: Addictions Rehabilitation
  • NPSY 761: Dual Disorders

Note: Not all courses are offered at any given time. Please contact the department in which the course is listed. You may also check the master schedule online through the Registrar’s Office to see which semester's courses were offered in the past.

Students will take two approved electives. One-half of the courses taken for the certificate must be at the 700 level or higher.

The College of Social Work administers the Certificate of Graduate Study in Drug and Addiction Studies. Students may pursue the certificate independently or in conjunction with another graduate course of study.

Admissions Criteria

Admission to the program is on a selective basis and determined by the academic preparation and personal qualifications. The applicant must have a bachelor’s degree from an accredited institution, and a cumulative 3.0 GPA (on a 4.0 scale) from the undergraduate degree institution. An applicant who has not attained the required GPA and does not possess a graduate degree or significant work experience may be required to submit Graduate Record Examination scores. Successful applicants typically have a score of "4" on the analytical writing portion of the GRE. The Miller Analogies Test may be substituted for the GRE.

How to Apply

To be admitted to the Certificate of Graduate Study in Drug and Addiction Studies, the applicant must submit the following to The Graduate School:

  • Graduate application form
  • Two letters of reference from professors or employers
  • An official transcript from each college or university previously attended

If the student has already applied or been admitted to a graduate program at USC, previously submitted materials will be accepted. 

Applications should list “Certificate of Graduate Study in Drug and Addiction Studies” on the application form under degree pursued. The program accepts applications on a rolling basis. Students may begin the program in the fall, spring or summer semester.

Application Deadline

The certificate does not have a specific application deadline. To ensure we can process your application in a timely manner, we suggest all documents should be received (including official transcripts from all educational institutions) at least one month prior to the desired term of enrollment.   

Gerontology - *Admission to the program remains suspended. The program is expected to transition from Social Work to Public Health. Additional information will be available in the future.*

The Certificate of Graduate Study in Gerontology program addresses the educational needs of full-time and part-time students who will be engaged in the planning, administration and provision of services for older adults. Students earning master's or doctoral degrees in related disciplines are offered the opportunity to obtain specialized preparation for career paths in the expanding fields of gerontology and geriatrics.

The certificate provides graduate students with opportunities to learn from gerontology educators within several USC academic units. The program is administered by The  Graduate School and is planned by the university's Interdisciplinary Academic Committee on Gerontology. With a commitment to excellence, the program has been developed in relation to standards and guidelines established by the Association for Gerontology in Higher Education.

Each student's individualized program of study will be sponsored by one or more departments authorized to offer graduate study. All programs of study are approved by The Graduate School.

Curriculum Requirements

The Certificate of Graduate Study in Gerontology is granted upon completion of a structured program of 21 credit hours of graduate level courses. There are four required courses (three credit hours each) in the core curriculum:

  • PSYC 700 (equivalent to SOWK 771): Psychosocial Approaches to Gerontology
  • MEDI 700: Health Aspects of Aging
  • SOWK 772: Programs and Services for the Elderly
  • Practicum/Field Instruction or Supervised Research

Students can meet the practicum requirement through a departmentally approved residency, field instruction or supervised research course, exclusive of the student's thesis or dissertation. Social work students may apply one semester of field instruction in an approved aging agency setting to meet the requirement. Health administration students may complete the practicum through a public health residency.

Nine credit hours of electives may be selected from a broad list of graduate level courses available throughout the university. A student must take one elective outside of their academic discipline.

All health administration students are required to take HADM 764 (Long Term Care Administration). Other courses, including independent study, may be considered for elective credit.

With the approval of the academic unit concerned and subject to the regulations of The Graduate School, courses taken in the Certificate of Graduate Study in Gerontology can be applied toward a graduate degree. The College of Social Work participates in the Certificate of Graduate Study in Gerontology program, and some of the elective courses for the MSW program can be used to fulfill requirements for the certificate. Students participating in the Ph.D. program in Health Services Research in Aging may utilize some Gerontology Certificate Program courses to fulfill degree requirements.

Admissions Requirements

Students currently enrolled in graduate programs at USC and other interested individuals must apply for admission to the Certificate of Graduate Study in Gerontology program through The Graduate School. Requirements for admission include:

  • A baccalaureate degree from an accredited college or university.
  • A minimum GPA of 2.5 (on a 4.0 scale) or a GPA of 3.0 for the last two years of undergraduate coursework.
  • A written account of the applicant's past experience, including a statement of purpose for seeking the gerontology certificate and career goals.
  • Scores on the GRE, unless the applicant already has earned a graduate degree or is currently completing the requirements for a graduate degree.
  • Two letters of recommendation attesting to the individual's ability to successfully undertake graduate study.
  • Official transcripts of all colleges attended.

For additional information, contact:
Katherine Leith, Ph.D., LMSW

Social and Behavioral Health with Military Members, Veterans and Military Families

The College of Social Work remains committed to serving the needs of military members, veterans and their families. The Graduate Certificate for Social and Behavioral Health with Military Members, Veterans and Military Families is open to professionals in interdisciplinary field with easier access through online distributed learning coursework.

Curriculum Requirements

The Graduate Certificate for Social and Behavioral Health with Military Members, Veterans and Military Families requires the following four courses:

  • SOWK 737: Overview of Social Work with the Military, Veterans and Their Families 
  • SOWK 738: Military Mental Health and the Impact of Trauma 
  • SOWK 739: Intervention Strategies in Military Behavioral Health and Combat-related Issues
  • SOWK 758: Dynamics of Substance Abuse

The other two courses required to complete the program are electives, chosen by the student to further their understanding of the issues facing today’s military members, veterans and their families.

For additional information, contact:
Nicole Cavanagh, Ph.D., LISW-AP/CPs
Coordinator, Social and Behavioral Health with Military Members, Veterans and Military Families
Phone: 803-777-0433

Women's and Gender Studies

The College of Social Work is part of a multidisciplinary program of study leading to a graduate certificate in Women's and Gender Studies. The 18-hour certificate program can be completed in conjunction with another graduate degree or as a stand-alone program. 

Learn more about Women's and Gender Studies »