Academic Credit Internships
Requirements of employers include:
- Assign intern professional responsibilities related to their major with minimal administrative duties (at least 80% communications related work, no more than 20% administrative work)
- Assign intern at least 140 hours of work per academic term
- Provide student with an offer letter in writing and official job description BEFORE class deadlines listed below
- Fall 2021: August 16
- Spring 2022: January 7
- Employers must provide the student with any required software (i.e. Adobe InDesign, PhotoShop) and hardware (cameras, etc..) needed to complete intern duties. Students cannot rent equipment from SJMC for their internship work.
Requirements of the student include:
- Work a minimum of 140 hours per semester
- Complete the internship in Fall, Spring or Summer semesters (not Winter session)
- Submit internship contract to CIC Career Services before aforementioned deadline
Students can also participate in not-for-credit internships, part-time jobs or job shadowing.
We have over 2,000 students in our college constantly looking for opportunities! Want to get more involved? Here's how you can get started!
- Write down what you're looking for! A job description is a must when looking for interns. It should include: bullet points, job duties, paid/ unpaid, hourly wage, number of hours they will work, etc...
- Post your job online! You can post on your website or Handshake, UofSC's Careers website for students. Some employers choose to post their positions on their organization's website as well. We are happy to share your positions wherever you post them.
- Share your position with us! We can send out these roles with students, faculty and staff in multiple channels including the student newsletter.
Opportunities for Involvement
- CIC Career Fair: Spring 2022 (Date TBD)
- On campus visits, which includes tabling the School of Journalism and Mass Communications or Davis College
- Classroom Presentations: Have expertise in your field? Our students want to hear from you!
- Student organization Presentations: CIC has a number of outstanding student organizations, including Student Advertising Federation, Public Relations Student Society of America, and the National Association of Black Journalists.
- Meet our Master's Students! For more information, reach out to Camea Cato, Graduate Student Services Manager.
Questions? Want to get started? We want to meet you!
Reach out to Career Services Manager, Shirisha Mudunuri at email@example.com today!