The College of Arts and Sciences is a richly diverse community of faculty and students dedicated to the discovery, dissemination, and application of knowledge about the natural and human worlds as well as the places where they intersect. The college is committed to enriching the academic experiences of graduate and undergraduate students, and to excelling in faculty research, scholarship, and creative activity. As the heart of a major research university, the college is a catalyst for positive change in the local community, the state, the nation, and the world.
The College of Arts and Sciences aspires to transform the lives of our students and improve the world they will inhabit by creating and sharing knowledge at the frontiers of inquiry.
The College of Arts and Sciences stands for the values of a liberal arts education, including critical inquiry, disciplined thinking, scientific investigation, broadened horizons, collaborative effort, and refined judgment. A liberal arts education prepares individuals to face an increasingly complex, diverse, and changing world with open, nimble minds and expansive, humane sympathies.
- Build and nurture a diverse faculty that will demonstrate excellence in teaching, research, scholarship, creative pursuits, and community engagement.
STUDENT ACADEMIC EXPERIENCE
- Provide innovative, inspiring, and effective instruction to undergraduate students to prepare them for citizenship, future success, and fulfillment in a competitive world.
- Maximize beyond the classroom learning opportunities to broaden and enhance post-graduation opportunities for undergraduates.
- Recruit high caliber graduate students of all backgrounds and provide high quality educational and state of the art research experiences to prepare them for citizenship, future success, and fulfillment in a competitive world.
DIVERSITY AND INCLUSION
- Promote diversity throughout all disciplines and in all of our teaching, research and service endeavors.
- Foster an environment that values and is strengthened by the many different backgrounds, perspectives and experiences that faculty, students and staff bring to our learning community.
- Engage prospective students, parents, alumni and the community at large to improve recognition of CAS impact at the university, local, national and international level.
- Communicate the value of a liberal arts education and promote numerous career options for liberal arts and sciences majors.
INSTRUCTIONAL AND RESEARCH SPACE
- Identify and seek opportunities to invest in facilities necessary to support the changing needs and demands of CAS faculty, staff and students.