Math Assessment of Prerequisites (MAP)
This test must be completed prior to your advising appointment to ensure the completion of your course registration. Prior to taking the MAP test, you are required to complete the following:
- Honor Code Assessment
- MAP Tutorial
- MAP Practice Test
The MAP test will take up to 2 hours to complete and can be accessed through Blackboard. Make sure your computer and Internet connection are reliable
All students must meet the prerequisite for any MATH course that they take at USC Lancaster. For some courses, this prerequisite is met after taking the MAP test.
The MAP is a timed, problem-solving assessment with three levels (MAP 1, MAP 2, and MAP 3) each containing 10 questions to be solved in 30 minutes. You will progress through the test depending on your math ability.
Topics covered in each level:
- MAP 1 - Basic Skills: Numerical computation, Order of Operations, Graph Interpretation, Finding the Value of a Function, Finding the Equation of a Line, Solving Linear and Quadratic Equations
- MAP 2 - Intermediate Skills: Finding the Domain of a Function, Solving Exponential and Logarithmic, Transformations of Functions, Factoring polynomials, Algebraic Simplification
- MAP 3 - Advanced Skills: Suggested skills tested: Compositions of Functions, Inverse Functions, Trigonometric
Functions in a Right Triangle, Using Inverse Trigonometric Functions, Solving Trigonometric
Equations, Using Trigonometric identities, Graphing Elementary Functions
Once you complete the MAP, you can see score by clicking on the link "My MAP Scores" on the left course menu. Your official score will be added into your my.sc.edu account within two days.
Once you are accepted to USC Lancaster, please set up your account and password:
- Claim your account and set up your multifactor authentication. Select your preferred method of authentication (the free Duo Security app is the easiest and fastest way).
- Set your VIP ID Password for Self Service Carolina (SSC), (the university system for secure, personal access to University data). Your VIP ID to claim your account is found on your acceptance letter. A tutorial is available to help guide you through the process of claiming your account and setting up multifactor authentication. Questions regarding the account claiming process and Self-Service Carolina (SSC), please call the Office of Admissions at 803-313-7073.
- View my IDs and manage my passwords. Questions regarding your University of South Carolina username and password should be directed to the USC Helpdesk in Columbia at 803-777-1800.
To request access to the exam, please complete and submit this online form. Once added, you will receive an email with instructions on next steps. Access to the MAP test is done through Blackboard. You must have a valid UofSC network username and password to log in.
If you have issues navigating the course page, please contact us at 803-313-7007 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For additional technical assistance, the Division of Information Technology’s (DoIT) Service Desk is the single point of contact for computer, technology and IT-related questions and support. You can also call them at 803-777-1800 during normal business hours (US Eastern Time).
You can retake the MAP in a special session a week before the semester begins and running until the day before the last day to change a course.
Before retaking the test, take the practice test and study the topics you missed. Your most recent score on the MAP test is used to determine your eligibility for taking a course.
If you need to retake the MAP, please contact us at email@example.com.
The MAP testing window has closed. It will reopen prior to Spring 2024 semester beginning.
Foreign Language Placement Exam
New Lancers will take the Foreign Language Placement Exam at the selected Orientation date.
For returning students, contact Pam Ellis at firstname.lastname@example.org or
803-313-7007 for more information.