How to Apply
J-2 Dependents who wish to apply for work authorization can do so by filing an I-765 with U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services.
ISSS recommends the following materials as a general suggestion for your J-2 I-765 application:
- A written statement from the J-2 dependent, with any supporting evidence (a supporting letter from HR-OIS), showing that J-2 employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes (i.e. your earnings will not support the principal J-1). Here is an example letter that includes a helpful statement for requesting that the card be authorized to the end date on your DS-2019.
- Complete Form I-765.
- Check made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. You can provide a personal check, cashier's check, or money order. Please check the filing fee here.
- Photocopies of the following documents:
- Photocopies of J-1 and J-2’s DS-2019s
- Photocopies of passport photo page of J-1 and J-2 passports
- Photocopies of J-1 and J-2 Visas
- Printouts or photocopies of J-1 and J-2 I-94s
- 2 passport-style photos
Submitting your Application to USCIS:
The processing time for an I-765 application is typically ~3 months. You can find the direct filing address for a J-2 work authorization application on the USCIS website (navigate to "Foreign Students" and then to the "(c)(5)" category).