Skip to Content

International Student and Scholar Support

J-1 Employment: Economic Hardship

Off-campus work authorization may be granted by your program sponsor due to serious, urgent and unforeseen changes in economic circumstances since entering the United States on J-1 status.

This off-campus authorization is valid for one year and limits your total work hours to 20 hours per week. Therefore, if an exchange visitor is already working 15 hours per week on campus, a maximum of 5 hours per week can be authorized for off-campus employment.

Note that working without receiving prior written authorization from International Student Services will lead to termination of your J-1 status as well as termination of your J-2 dependents' status. Seeking authorization after beginning work is grounds for termination.

Only certain serious situations qualify for Economic Hardship and a J-1 must meet with an international student advisor to determine if they qualify. For more information or to set up an appointment, please contact us.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.