Skip to Content

International Student and Scholar Support

How to Hire an F-1 or J-1 Student for On-Campus Employment

International students can pursue on-campus employment for up to 20 hours per week during the school year, and for up to 40 hours per week during summer and winter breaks. If a student has multiple on-campus jobs, all jobs combined must not exceed the maximum allowable hours. For more general information about on-campus employment, check out the Student Employment Website.

How to Hire an F-1 or J-1 International Student for On-Campus Work

  1. If an international student does not have their social security number yet, this is not a problem! They can begin work and they can receive payment prior to receiving the SSN. For more information, see below. 
  2. Complete the on-campus hiring process. Attach the Foreign National Tax Form when submitting a hire. For questions about the Foreign National Tax Form, you can contact Jacob Kiehl in the International Payroll Office.
  3. Complete an I-9 for the international student. Most students choose to present their foreign passport, I-20 or DS-2019 certificate of eligibility, and I-94. Note that international students cannot be hired past the end date on their I-20 or DS-2019. International students' social security cards typically say "Valid for Work Only with DHS Authorization," which means it cannot be used as documentation for the I-9.
    •  F-1 and J-1 international students should select #4 "alien authorized to work" in Part 1 of the I-9.
    • The student's program end date (found on the I-20 or DS-2019) is the work until date. If the student needs to work past the program end date on the I-20 or DS-2019, they will first need to qualify for a program extension due to an academic necessity.
  4. Tentative Nonconfirmations: Students who receive a "Tentative Nonconfirmation" from E-Verify can typically resolve the issue by calling the phone number that is provided in the tentative nonconfirmation letter. While receiving a TNC seems alarming, it's typically not difficult to resolve and is usually due to an error on the I-9.
  5. If the student is a J-1 visa holder, they will receive a letter from ISS authorizing their on-campus employment.
  6. Student can begin work once the on-campus hiring process is complete. 

Social Security Number for International Students

International students do not qualify for a social security number unless they get an on-campus job. An F-1 or J-1 student without a social security number will need to obtain an employment verification letter completed by your department with specific information about their job. This employment verification letter will then need to be submitted to ISS via email or in person so it can be stamped by a Designated School Official. For more information about international students and social security numbers, see the Social Security Administration's resource guide as well as ISSS's guidance for students.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.