At a Glance
- Made up of engineering and computing students
- Students live in Bates West
- Take classes with your peers in the same field of study
What Makes This Community Different
Students in this community have access to opportunities that will improve their experience at Carolina and prepare them for their careers after graduation.
- Participate in hands-on, collaborative learning.
- Pursue your academic interests outside the classroom.
- Take advantage of opportunities to interact with faculty members in your field of interest.
Why First-Year Interest Groups?
Research shows students who take courses within their learning community are more likely to take ownership of their academic career and be more engaged with their community.
Type of Communities
Associated Community: These are smaller learning communities within residence halls focused on an area of study or student interest. Students in these communities will meet others who share their interests, and have unique opportunities to pursue those interests outside of the classroom.
FIrst-Year Interest Groups (FIGS)
Applying to Join This Community
Is this the living learning community for you?
Incoming Students: You'll apply as part of your housing application, available February 15, 2021 via my.sc.edu.
Returning Students: Applications open in October.