The number and dollar amount of dance scholarships to be awarded is dependent upon the number of qualified candidates and on the level of funds available in the scholarship account. The dance scholarship committee determines the number and amount of dance scholarships to be awarded each semester.
- Students are expected to maintain a 2.5 grade point average to retain their awards.
- Out-of-state scholarship recipients may be eligible for a tuition reduction benefit if their scholarships are valued at $500 per year or greater.
Dance scholarships will be awarded based on the following criteria:
- Accepted by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions to attend the University South Carolina.
- Declared a dance major and enrolled as a full-time university student with a minimum of 12 credit hours. Freshmen are eligible to receive scholarships. All prospective dance majors, including transfer students, must audition in order to be accepted into the dance program, and must have been accepted as a student by the University of South Carolina through its separate application process.
- To receive a tuition reduction, scholarship recipients must also meet eligibility requirements based on weighted core course GPA and standardized test scores as determined by the Office of Undergraduate Admissions.
- Technical ability.
- Performance participation with the USC Dance Company, not only in regularly scheduled concerts, but at the request of the artistic director for unscheduled, special invitation performances.
- Classes and rehearsal attendance. This includes promptness and 100 percent attendance, unless an extenuating circumstance exists and the choreographer and/or artistic director have approved absences.
1) During the fall and spring semesters, individuals will be judged at the regularly scheduled auditions. The USC Dance Scholarship Committee will evaluate dancers at the audition for prospective students.
2) Dance scholarship awards will be approved by the Chair of the Department of Theatre and Dance upon the recommendation of the Dance Scholarship Committee in consultation with the artistic director. The dance scholarship committee will consist of the full-time and part-time dance faculty. Dance scholarship awards will be announced sometime in late March or early April.
3) Upon notification of an award, the recipient will be asked to sign a dance scholarship contract agreement that details the responsibilities and obligations of all parties.
4) Dance scholarship payment will be disbursed at the beginning of the semester for which the award was granted.
5) The Dance Program reserves the right to rescind a dance scholarship if the recipient fails to fulfill any of the criteria at any time during the academic semester, as determined by the artistic director.
6) If the recipient has unsatisfactorily fulfilled any of the criteria set forth above,
scholarship funds will not be made available to him or her in the future.
Funding for Your Education
We encourage you to explore all the options for paying for your education and to get in touch with the university's Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships for more information.