Skip to Content

Payroll Department


Find the forms you need for tax reporting purposes and get answers to some of the most common questions related to payroll tax withholdings at the University of South Carolina.

Tax Withholding Questions

Please complete the Form W-4 manually and bring it to the Payroll Office for processing. The change will go into effect on your next paycheck, unless the payroll for the upcoming paycheck has already been processed.  Further information of Employee Self Service Form W-4 will be released with future enhancements of PeopleSoft HCM.

W-4 Form >>

Call us at 803-777-4227 and we can explain the regulations used to determine your tax withholdings.

Supplemental pay is considered pay in addition to your regular wages and is subject to a flat tax rate as required by federal and state tax regulations. 

FICA is the combination of Social Security tax and Medicare tax. All employees are subject to FICA taxes, unless an exception applies.

There are some exceptions for student employees who are working while they are enrolled, and other exceptions for international employees. 

 Yes, the IRS advises all employees to review their tax withholdings each year to avoid surprises with the filing of your annual tax return. As an aid to assist you with this analysis, the IRS released an updated withholding calculator and a frequently asked questions summary, in March 2018. While USC cannot offer tax advice we may be able to assist you with general questions about your paystub and how you can make a change to your Form W-4 exemptions.



Year-End Wage Forms

The Payroll Department issues the following important documents annually that you will need for filing your U.S. tax returns.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.