Skip to Content

Graduation and Retention Network

Senior Citizens

South Carolina residents who are at least 60 years old are eligible for the state's free tuition waiver. It's never too late to learn something new!

Senior Citizen Tuition Waiver

If you are a South Carolina resident who is at least 60 years old, state law provides you tuition exemption so that you can take classes at a state college or university tuition free on a space-available basis.  You are welcome to continue taking these courses for as long as you remain a student in good academic standing* at the University.

*Good academic standing varies by department and program.

Fees Not Included in Free Tuition
Technology fees, lab fees, matriculation fees and program fees, etc. are not exempt and must be paid by the student.


You qualify for free tuition if:

  • You are 60 years old or older.
  • You have been a South Carolina resident for at least 12 months.
  • You are admitted to the University of South Carolina. 

 Undergraduate Application Deadlines

  • May 1st for summer admission
  • July 1st for fall admission
  • November 1st for spring admission

Graduate Application Deadlines

Application deadlines and requirements vary by graduate programs and can be found on the Graduate School webpage.


How to Apply

  1. Submit an application.  If you are not currently enrolled as a student at USC, you will need to review the requirements and apply through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions or the Graduate School. If you have any questions about the application process, you can call the Office of Undergraduate Admissions at 803-777-7700 or the Graduate School at 803-777-4243.
  2. Receive your VIP ID.  Your VIP ID is a series of numbers used to identify you at the university. Once accepted to the University, you will receive your VIP ID in your acceptance packet. Students currently enrolled at USC already have this number.
  3. Verify your Citizenship status. Check to see if your status has already been verified by reviewing your Citizenship Status in the Student Profile section of Self Service Carolina.  If you find that your citizenship status is non-verified, you will need to submit the Citizenship Verification Form and supply one of the following documents:
    • South Carolina driver’s license
    • Certified Birth Certificate indicating you were born in the United States or a territory of the United States
    • Current U.S. Passport or U.S. Passport that has not been expired more than 10 years, Certificate of Naturalization, U.S. government issued Consular Report of Birth Abroad, Certificate of Citizenship, or Unexpired U.S. Active Duty/Retiree/Reservist Military ID Card
  4. Verify your SC residency.   Click here to access the Residency Certification form for the appropriate semester. Be sure to closely monitor your USC email. A Residency Official will follow up with you if there is additional information needed. For questions concerning residency, please email a Residency Official at
  5. COMPLETE THE 60+ WAIVER FORM which can be found on the Registrar's page here. *It is very important that you do not skip this step.*
  6. Have your immunization hold removed. Visit to complete any immunization requirements.  For help with your immunization hold, please contact Student Health and Well-Being at 803-777-3175. Click here to learn more about how to clear your immunization holds. 
  7. Have your advising hold removed.  If you are enrolled in a degree program, you'll  need to contact your college or school adviser. 
  8. Maintain active student status.  It is your responsibility to maintain active status as a USC student.  If you miss a fall or spring semester, you will become an inactive student in the University's system.  You must re-apply for admission, pay the application fee and complete the residency certification process again before you can register for more courses.


Auditing a course allows you to participate in the course for non-academic credit and without tests and assignments.  This option requires consent of the course instructor.  To audit a course, complete this form.

Class Overrides

Only the professor and department offering the course can offer an override for you to join a closed course or courses requiring special permission. If you need help contacting the department for your course, please let us know.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.