The Digital Studies Certificate requires 12 credit hours that will earn you an impressive certification on your official transcript, separate from your diploma. You can choose from over 35 courses to create an individualized digital curriculum that will make you more marketable in your new career.
The program brings together academic departments from across campus, from the College of Engineering and Computing, the College of Information and Mass Communications, and the College of Arts and Sciences. Students have the opportunity to produce their own digital content and to critically assess the digital content they encounter. The program includes hands-on experiences that prepare students for their future careers while becoming more skilled at using digital technologies in their everyday lives.
Students engage in web design, video production, database management, computer networking, social media content design, data visualization and much more.
CSCE 101 - Introduction to Computer Concepts
GEOG 105 - The Digital Earth
ISCI 201 - Introduction to Information Science
ITEC 101 - Thriving in the Tech Age
MART 210 - Digital Media Arts Fundamentals
CSCE 102 - General Applications Programming
CSCE 201 - Introduction to Computer Security
CSCE 204 - Program Design and Development
CSCE 206 - Scientific Applications Programming
CSCE 207 - UNIX System Administration
CSCE 500 - Computer Programming and Applications
CSCE 567 - Visualization Tools
ITEC 233 - Introduction to Computer Hardware and Software
ITEC 245 - Introduction to Networking
ITEC 264 - Computer Applications in Business I
ITEC 265 - Introduction to Databases
ITEC 362 - Introduction to Web Systems
ITEC 560 - Project Management Methods
ITEC 570 - Database Management and Administration
ISCI 202 - Introduction to Information Literacy and Technology
ISCI 301 - Information Storage and Retrieval
ISCI 402 - Introduction to Management Within Info Environments
ISCI 415 - Social Informatics
ISCI 430 - User-Centered Information Architecture
ISCI 435 - Planning and Sustaining Digital Projects
ISCI 560 - Information Visualization
GEOG 341 - Cartography
GEOG 345 - Interpretation of Aerial Photographs
GEOG 363 - Geographic Information Systems
GEOG 554 - Spatial Programming
GEOG 563 - Advanced Geographic Information Systems
GEOG 564 - GIS-Based Modeling
MART 371 - The Moving Image
MART 380 - New Media Art
MART 571C - Moving Image Advanced: Animation
How It Works
- Let us know you're interested by completing a Digital Studies Interest Form.
- After reviewing with your academic advisor, we'll add the Certificate to your curriculum in Banner.
- Complete 12 credit hours from the course list below. We'll keep track of your progress in DegreeWorks.
- Complete a Certificate Application along with your degree application during your final semester.
- Be recognized on your transcript, your commencement program, and by official certificate. Be all the more prepared for the career you want!
- The certificate must be completed concurrently with your undergraduate degree and it cannot delay graduation.
- A minimum institutional GPA of 2.0 must be maintained.
- Two of the four required courses must be taken at the USC Columbia campus.
- All coursework that applies to the certificate must be earned with a grade of C or better.