Columbia: "The City of Dreams"
The welcoming city of Columbia is the capital of the state of South Carolina. Here you will find exciting culture, internship opportunities, international food and more.
- Home to 133,000 people, for small-town friendliness yet big-city fun.
- Weather includes mild winters and very hot summers.
- #3 Best College Town according to Livability.com.
- #5 South Carolina is ranked #5 in the U.S. for globalization.
- Top 5 industries: Healthcare, insurance, eco-friendly energy, transportation and research.
- Charlotte Douglas International Airport has nonstop flights to 15 international destinations.
Academics: High Rankings and Innovation
Want the opportunity to focus on research? USC is a national leader in undergraduate research programs, and the city of Columbia is a research and development center too.
- 47 nationally ranked degree programs.
- 19:1 student to faculty ratio.
- #1 ranked undergraduate international business program.
- Ranked the #49 Top Public University.
- Focus on innovation, with USC in the top 1% of patent-producing universities in the world.
- Ranked #92 in the world for economics and business.
Student Life: Friends, Culture and Fun
University of South Carolina students come from all 50 U.S. states and more than 100 countries. Study at USC and you’ll make friends from around the country and around the world.
- 25,000+ undergraduate students, with 270,000 alumni around the world.
- 400+ student organizations, including more than 15 for international students.
- Award-winning fitness center with indoor and outdoor pools, running track, volleyball court and 550-m2 gym.
- 80+ intramural sports and clubs, including soccer/football, judo and bhangra.
- On-campus theaters, museums, musical performances, art galleries and more.
- 2.5-hour drive to the beach or to the mountains.
The IAP staff were my first friends when I got here — basically my family. They are always here to listen to us and comfort us.