Faculty and Staff Directory
|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Resources:||English Language and Literature|
PhD, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 2004
MA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1999
BA, University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, 1997
Areas of Specialization
• 20th-Century American Literature
• Southern Literature
Recently Taught Courses
ENGL 427 Southern Literature
ENGL 429s Carolina Novelists
ENGL 752 Modern American Novel
ENGL 759 Southern Literature since 1900
Current Research Projects
Works-in-progress include a book manuscript examining late twentieth-century southern verse memoirs by James Applewhite, Yusef Komunyakaa, Nikky Finney, John Lane, and others; a chapbook of poems about the Waldensian diaspora in Europe, North Carolina, and Uruguay; and a study of Doris Betts's uncollected short fiction.
• Writing in the Kitchen: Essays on Southern Literature and Foodways. Co-edited with David A. Davis. Jackson: University Press of Mississippi, 2014.
• The Intellectual in Twentieth-Century Southern Literature. Baton Rouge: Louisiana State University Press, 2012.
• Physical Science. A chapbook of poems. Lexington, KY: Finishing Line Press, 2010.
• "'You Taste of America': Talladega Nights, Deliverance, and Southern Studies." Southerners on Film: Essays on Hollywood Portrayals Since the 1970s. Ed. Andrew B. Leiter. Jefferson, NC: McFarland Press, 2011. 217-229.
• "Percival Everett: Erasure." Still in Print: The Southern Novel Today. Ed. Jan Nordby-Gretlund. Columbia, South Carolina: University of South Carolina Press, 2010. 73-87.
• "How Michael Chitwood Minds the South." Iron Mountain Review. 24 (2008): 23-29.
• "Beyond the Wallpaper: Crossroads of Region, Gender, and Intellectual Life in the Fiction of Doris Betts and Gail Godwin." South Atlantic Review. 72.3 (2007): 1-16.
SELECTED POETRY ONLINE
• "Coiffure," "Drinking with the poets on the dock," and "Watching Deliverance with My Students." Weber Studies. 23.3 (2007): 96-98. Available here.
• "Pond," "Growing Season," "Laundry," "Akhmatova, Collected in Translation," "The Tattered Last of the Hurricane," and "Posture for Prayer." North Carolina Poet of the Week, October 2-8, 2006. North Carolina Arts Council.
• "Tempest Following Fortunes." Amarillo Bay. 6.2 (2004).
• "Daffodils Had Just Begun Nodding," "Motoring Home Down the Canal, I Heard the NPR Astronomer Claim," "Valentine," "Wardrobe," and "Woman in Hibernation." Poets Under 30 Feature. storySouth: the best from new south writers. Winter 2004. Available here.
• "Kissing O'Connor's Skeleton." Flannery O'Connor Session. 10/2013 Rocky Mountain MLA
Conference. Vancouver, WA.
• "A Wildness for the World: The Short Fiction of Doris Betts." Special Session on Doris Betts. 11/2012 South Atlantic MLA. Raleigh, NC.
• "Closing the Southern Sublime: A Liturgy of Trees in the Poetry of John Lane." Association for the Study of Literature and Environment. 11/2011 South Atlantic MLA. Atlanta, GA.
• "Responding to History and Women, Culture and Faith: Selected Writings of Elizabeth Fox-Genovese." 7/2011 St. George Tucker Society for Southern Studies. Augusta, GA.
• "'Nothing Can Gloss / Over Barbecue Sauce': Foodways, Memory, and Race in Contemporary Southern Poetry." Eating in the Kitchen: Race, Foodways, and Southern Literature Special Session.
• 4/2010 Society for the Study of Southern Literature Conference. New Orleans, LA.
• Poetry Editorial Board Member for Weber: The Contemporary West (2007-present)
• South Atlantic Modern Language Association Executive Committee Member (2014 - 2016)
• Society for the Study of Southern Literature: Executive Council (2013 - 2015); Program Committee Member (2012 conference); American Literature Association regular session coordinator (2008 - 2014); RMMLA affiliate session coordinator (2010 - 2014)
• American Waldensian Society Board of Directors (2011-present)
• Rocky Mountain Modern Language Association Executive Board: President (2015); Delegate-at-Large (2009 - 2011); Graduate Student Delegate (2004 - 2005)
• Chair, Southern Writers Speaker Series. Co-sponsored by the Friends of the Richland County Public Library and the USC Institute for Southern Studies (2007, 2008, 2010, 2012)