Skip to Content

Department of English Language and Literature


If you are considering a major or minor in English, you’ll apply to the University of South Carolina through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. You can declare your major as early as your first year. We also welcome new majors who are further along in their program of study. To declare a minor in English or Speech Communication, contact the Office of Undergraduate Affairs in the College of Arts and Science.

If you are interested in one of our advanced degree programs (M.A., MAT, MFA, Ph.D.), you’ll apply through the Graduate School.


Apply for Undergraduate Admission

The Office of Undergraduate Admissions manages online applications to the university and provides the most comprehensive information on the application process. The admissions office also provides the latest information on application deadlines and university scholarships for S.C. residents and nonresidents. So whether you are applying as a freshman, are looking to transfer to South Carolina or are planning to come to Columbia from another USC campus, you can check the requirements based on your current status and apply now.


Apply to Graduate School

The Graduate School coordinates online applications to our master's and doctoral programs. There may be supporting materials that are required along with your online application for graduate admission, so be sure to review the requirements before you apply.

Students wishing to be considered for fellowship or assistantship funding must submit their applications by December 15.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.