Faculty and Staff Directory
Pat J. Gehrke
|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Office:||HUO, Room 306|
|Resources:||English Language and Literature|
PhD, The Pennsylvania State University, Communication Arts and Sciences, 2003
MA, California State University at Chico, Communication Arts and Sciences, 1997
BA, California State University at Chico, Communication Arts and Sciences, 1995
Communication education, history of communication, public engagement (particularly regarding new and emerging technologies), communication ethics, and rhetorical theory.
• Communication Pedagogy
• Educating Dissent
• Communication Ethics
• Rhetoric, History, and Power
• Rhetoric and Democracy
• Online Public Communication
• Public Speaking
• Business & Professional Communication
• Small Group Communication
• Public Communication & Civic Engagement
• Rhetoric of Science and Technology
• Communication Ethics
• National Communication Association Presidential Citation for Service, 2016.
• National Communication Association Presidential Citation for Service, 2015.
• National Communication Ethics Conference, James A. Jaksa Scholar in Residence, 2014.
• National Communication Association Philosophy of Communication Division Book Award, 2011.
BOOKS & EDITED VOLUMES
• Pat J. Gehrke. Nano-Publics: Communicating Nanotechnology Applications, Risks, & Regulations. New York: Palgrave, 2018.
• Adam S. Lerner & Pat J. Gehrke. Organic Public Engagement: How Ecological Thinking Transforms Public Engagement with Science. New York: Palgrave, 2018.
• Pat J. Gehrke. Online Public Communication. Irmo, SC: Basis Publishing, 2018. https://onlinepubliccommunication.com (Multimedia online textbook for online first-year speech courses.)
• Pat J. Gehrke, ed. Teaching First-Year Communication Courses: Paradigms and Innovations. New York: Routledge, 2017.
• Pat J. Gehrke, ed. Micro-Histories of Communication Studies: Mapping the Future of Communication through Local Narratives. New York: Routledge, 2016.
• Pat J. Gehrke & William M. Keith, eds. The Unfinished Conversation: 100 Years of Communication Studies. Co-edited with William M. Keith. New York: Routledge, 2014. The official centennial volume of the National Communication Association.
• Pat J. Gehrke. The Ethics and Politics of Speech: Communication and Rhetoric in the 20th Century. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 2009.
RECENT ARTICLES & ESSAYS
• Pat J. Gehrke. “Ecological Validity.” In Bruce Frey, ed., SAGE Encyclopedia of Educational Research, Measurement, and Evaluation. Thousand Oak, CA: SAGE, 2018.
• Pat J. Gehrke. “Jurgen Habermas.” In Ronald C. Arnett, Annette M. Holba, and Susan Mancino, eds., An Encyclopedia of Communication Ethics. New York: Peter Lang, 2018.
• Pat J. Gehrke. “The Fallacy of Reasoned Discourse.” Ethica 28 (March 16, 2017): 13-15.
• Pat J. Gehrke, “A Manifesto for Teaching Public Speaking,” Review of Communication 16 (2016): 246-264.
• Pat J. Gehrke, “What Rhetoric Can Do: Criticism as Critique.” The Effects of Rhetoric and the Rhetoric of Effects: Past, Present, Future. Eds. Amos Kiewe & Davis W. Houck. Columbia, SC: University of South Carolina Press, 2015. 82-100.
• Weston Eaton, Wynne Wright, Kyle Whyte, Stephen P. Gasteyer, & Pat J. Gehrke, “Engagement and Uncertainty: Emerging Technologies Challenge the Work of Engagement.” Journal of Higher Education Outreach and Engagement 18 (2014): 151-177.
• Pat J. Gehrke, “Ecological Validity and the Study of Publics: The Case for Organic Public Engagement.” Public Understanding of Science 23 (2014): 77-91.
• Pat J. Gehrke, “Before the One and the Other: Ethico-Political Communication and Community.” Philosophy of Communication Ethics: Alterity and the Other. Eds. Ronald C. Arnett & Pat Arneson. Madison, NJ: Fairleigh Dickinson University Press, 2014. 55-73.
• Pat J. Gehrke & William M. Keith, “A Brief History of the National Communication Association.” The Unfinished Conversation: 100 Years of Communication Studies. Eds. Pat J. Gehrke & William M. Keith. New York: Routledge, 2014. 1-25.
• Pat J. Gehrke, “On the Many Senses of Parresia and Rhetoric.” Rhetoric Society Quarterly 43 (2013): 355-361.
• G.L. Ercolini & Pat J. Gehrke, “Writing Future Rhetoric.” Theorizing Histories of Rhetoric. Ed. Michelle Ballif. Carbondale, IL: Southern Illinois University Press, 2013. 154-171.
• Pat J. Gehrke, “The Crisis Fallacy: Egoism, Epistemology, and Ethics in Crisis Communication and Preparation.” Communication Ethics and Crisis: Negotiating Differences in Public and Private Spheres. Eds. Janie Harden Fritz & S. Alyssa Groom. Madison, NJ: Farleigh Dickinson University Press, 2012. 133-159.
EXTERNAL GRANTS AWARDED
• Enrichment of the Discipline Grant, National Communication Association. $4,743 (2011-2014). PI. Travel for PI and one co-PI to the communication archives at the University of Utah.
• Nanotechnology Interdisciplinary Research Team: Intuitive Toxicology, National Science Foundation, #06-595. $1,399,000 over 4 years (2007-2011). Co-PI / PI & Director of USC sub-award of $468,645.
• Nanotechnology Undergraduate Education: Nanoscience and Technology Advocacy Studies Cognate, National Science Foundation, #05-543. $199,500 over 2 years (2005-2007). Investigator. Recruited to develop and teach pilot course for $9,257.
SELECT EDITORIAL SERVICE
• Editorial Board, University of South Carolina Press series in Movement Rhetoric / Rhetoric’s Movements, 2020-present.
• Editorial Board, Duquesne University Press series in Philosophy / Communication, 2013-present.
• Editor, Review of Communication, 2013-2016.
• Editorial Board, Rhetoric Society Quarterly, 2010-2014.
• Editorial Board, Western Journal of Communication, 2012.
• Editorial Board, Review of Communication, 2009-2012.