Skip to Content

Dual Enrollment & Early College FAQ

We have assembled the most commonly asked questions about our Dual Enrollment and Early College programs here at USC Sumter. The rules for enrolling in these programs change regularly and we keep our answers updated based on state and university requirements.

Frequently Asked Questions About Dual Enrollment and Early College at USC Sumter

What are the qualifications for Dual Enrollment?

A 3.0 GPA on college prep courses and one of the following: 900 on the SAT/PSAT or 19 on the ACT.

What are the qualifications for Early College?

Early College is an elite program for a select group of 50 students per year. Students need a minimum of a 3.0 GPA on college prep courses and a 900 SAT/PSAT or 19 ACT to apply. These scores do not guarantee admission into the program.

What are the minimum credit hours for LTAP to pay for my courses?

Students must enroll in a minimum of 6 credit hours per semester to qualify for LTAP.

Which school calendar do I follow?

You follow the USC Sumter calendar. Be mindful of important dates such as holidays, exams and Spring Break. Most school districts follow a different academic calendar.

How do I know if class is cancelled due to inclement weather?

USC Sumter closing schedule will follow that of the county. You will also receive an email notification.

Will my course credits transfer to other colleges and universities?

Contact the institution(s) you are considering and ask about their dual enrollment transfer credit policies. All courses will transfer to USC Columbia.

Do I have to take the ACT or SAT again once I am enrolled as an Early College or Dual Enrollment student?

Yes. You need to test again to receive your best possible score required for the college or university you are planning to attend after USC Sumter.

What are the attendance policies for USC Sumter courses?

Professors will state specific attendance policies for each course in the syllabus.

What is the grading policy for my courses?

The course syllabus specifically states that professor’s grading policy. Note that no two policies will necessarily be the same.

How are grades submitted?

Only letter grades are required for USC Sumter. Numerical and letter grades will be provided to each high school at the end of each semester for report cards, GPA and class rank purposes.

How do parents find out grades or information about their child?

Early College / Dual Enrollment student must have a Family Educational Rights and Privacy Act (FERPA) agreement on file. All names of persons given permission to share any information with must be on their agreement. Without a FERPA, it is illegal for any faculty or staff of USC Sumter to discuss any information about that student.

Since my child is under the age of 18, is a FERPA agreement still required?

Any student, even under the age of 18, that enrolls in a college course is legally covered under FERPA.

I've been accepted into the early college or dual enrollment program, now what?

If you have been accepted into the Early College or Dual Enrollment program and have your VIP ID, you can go to the Claiming ID's and Passwords page and start setting up all of your student information.