Sport and the Law
This course is designed to assist the student in acquiring knowledge of legal issues that frequently arise in the context of sport. This course will expand on introductory legal concepts and provide the student with a more comprehensive understanding of the law as it applies to sport as well as how the law affects participants, spectators, leagues, and sport event and facility managers, among other stakeholders.
Download the course syllabus for full details about expectations, readings, assignments and more.
Upon completion of the course, the student will be able to:
- Discuss the role and implications of the law in sport.
- Construct legal arguments for both plaintiff and defendant in sport-related dispute.
- Analyze recent trends in court decisions affecting sport.
- Recognize the need to secure legal protection for athletes, teams, and leagues.
- Apply substantive areas of law to actual scenarios faced by professionals in the sport industry.