Upcoming Events and Announcements
Ken Field's talk available online
If you missed the first colloquium of the fall semester, it's not too late to catch
it. Ken Field's talk, "Fake Maps: The Cartography of Elections," is available online.
Student map contest
And if you're inspired by the talk, considering entering the Mapping (In)Justice cartography contest [pdf]. Sponsored by the Geography Department in conjunction with the college's theme semester
on justice, the competition invites students to submit their maps on a broad range
of justice-related topics. The entry deadline is December 15, 2020.
William L. Graf (1947–2019)
We are sad to report that Will Graf, the former chair and a distinguished professor emeritus of the South Carolina Department
of Geography, died December 27, 2019. During his long and accomplished career, he
supervised 39 graduate students, taught more than 5,000 undergraduates, and earned
the respect of colleagues for his exemplary research.
UofSC Geography and Geographers in the News
- [Mock] Hurricane Zeta breaks records for Gulf and 2020 season
- [Mock] Tropical weather conditions are keeping storms south of Charleston this hurricane season
- [Nagel] South Carolina is changing. Is it enough to put Jaime Harrison in the Senate?
- [Cutter] Six ways the 2020 census will change your life
- 2020 Governor's Award to Jerry Mitchell
Photo: Sedimentation fieldwork at the McCrady Base in Columbia; Michael Hodgson.