|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Resources:||English Language and Literature|
PhD, Princeton University, 1993
Areas of Specialization
Early Modern Literature
Recently Taught Courses
• History of Literary Theory
• The Renaissance
Current Research Projects
Literature and the Power of Forgiveness in Early Modern England
• Stoicism, Politics, and Literature in the Age of Milton. Cambridge: Cambridge University Press, 1998.
• "Shakespeare's Histories of Forgiveness." English Literary History, forthcoming 2018.
• "The Poet as Feigned Example in Sidney’s Apology for Poetry." Modern Philology 114 (2016): 18-38.
• "Shakespeare and Early Modern English Literature." In The Routledge Handbook to the Stoic Tradition, ed. John Sellars, 174-86. London: Routledge, 2016.
• "Milton and Forgiveness." In Renaissance Papers 2006, ed. Christopher Cobb and M. Thomas Hester, 137-49. Rochester, NY: Camden House, 2006.
• "Kings, Poets, and the Power of Forgiveness, 1642-1660." English Literary Renaissance 33 (2003): 88-109.
• "'Subdu'd by You': States of Friendship and Friends of the State in Katherine Philips's Poetry." In Write or Be Written: Early Modern Women Poets and Cultural Constraints, ed. Ursula Appelt and Barbara Smith, 177-95. Aldershot: Ashgate, 2001.