|Title:||Dean, Louise Fry Scudder Professor
South Carolina Honors College
|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
|Office:||DeSaussure College 227|
|Resources:||English Language and Literature|
PhD, University of Texas, 1981
MA, University of South Carolina, 1976
BA, University of South Carolina, 1974 (Biology Cognate, SC Honors College, Carolina Scholar)
Areas of Specialization
• Eighteenth-Century Literature (especially Samuel Johnson)
• Science Fiction (especially nanotechnology and bioethics)
• Rhetoric and Composition (especially writing about literature)
Current Research Projects
• It's Alive?!: Science Fiction and Bioethics
• Johnson's Body
• Writing South Carolina: Selections from the Frist High School Writing Contest. Foreword by Pat Conroy, with Aida Rogers. U of South Carolina Press, 2015.
• Texts and Contexts, 7th edition. New York: Longman, 2016 (forthcoming).
• The Cambridge Introduction to Rhetoric and Composition. Cambridge UP, 2010.
• Literature: Reading and Writing with Critical Strategies. New York: Longman, 2012.
• A Short Guide to Writing. New York: Prentice Hall, 1996.
• Samuel Johnson after Deconstruction. Carbondale: Southern Illinois UP, 1992.
• "The Eighteenth Century" (review essay of General and Prose scholarship) in The Year's Work in Eighteenth-Century. Oxford: Oxford UP. 1996, 1997, 1998, 1999, 2000.
• "Johnson's Critical Reception” in The Cambridge Companion to Samuel Johnson, edited by Greg Clingham. Cambridge: Cambridge UP, 1997. Pp. 240-52.
• Essays in Eighteenth-Century Studies, College English, Age of Johnson, and other places.