|Department:||English Language and Literature
College of Arts and Sciences
PhD, Yale University, American Studies
MA, Yale University, Afro-American Studies
AB, Princeton University, English/Creative Writing
Spring Valley High School, Columbia, SC
Fellow, NEH Summer Institute on Black Film, University of Central Florida
Areas of Specialization
• Children's and Young Adult Literature
• African American Literature
• Creative Writing
• African American Film
• Multicultural American Autobiography
• Co-Editor, A Centennial Celebration of The Brownies' Book, Part of the Centennial Studies Series of The Children's Literature Association,
University of Mississippi Press, 2022. School Library Journal starred review.
• H is for Harlem, illustrated by April Harrison. NY: Christy Ottaviano Books/Little, Brown, 2022. Named a Boston Globe - Horn Book honor book for non-fiction.
• Indigo Dreaming, illustrated by Anna Cunha. NY: HarperCollins, 2022. Chosen to represent the State of South Carolina at the Library of Congress National Book Festival 2023. See review here. Also featured as a Richland Library "Table Talks" book.