Mark your calendar and take advantage of these events designed to support your growth, development and recognition. Details will be added as they become available.
The Professional Development Team invites proposals for educational sessions, roundtable discussions and TED Talk-style presentations on the conference theme, "RISE: Reframing in Shifting Environments." IdeaPOP! will be held in a hybrid format on May 12, and registration is required.
PD Team members represent all units of the division and come from a variety of positions, knowledge areas and experiences. Benefits of serving on the team include opportunities to develop skills and increase connections across the division. Employees of the Division of Student Affairs and Academic Support who have been in their current positions for at least one year are eligible to apply.
When: 3-4 p.m. Tuesday, April 13
Where: Online (register for link)
Attendees will increase their basic knowledge of nutrition, learn how to choose balanced meals and healthy snacks — all without breaking the bank. Presenter Olivia Sullivan is a registered dietitian with Student Health Services.
When: 9-10:30 a.m. Friday, April 23
The Professional Development Team will honor winners of awards in 13 categories.
When: 9-10 a.m. Thursday, April 29
Where: Online (register for link)
This informal, yet informative, event is a great opportunity to discuss current trends and issues in higher education with Dennis Pruitt, vice president for student affairs. Didn't have time to read the articles? It's OK! The topics vary, and Dennis is always open to talking about anything of interest to the attendees.
When: 9:30 a.m.-4:30 p.m. Wednesday, May 12
Where: All sessions will be offered virtually; some will also be offered in person at the Russell House
The conference theme, RISE: Reframing in Shifting Environments, will inspire participants to reframe and refocus on why it's important to work in higher education. A conference schedule, including descriptions of sessions, will be posted when it's available. IdeaPOP! is open to all Student Affairs and Academic Support staff members and graduate assistants. Registration is required.
- "Diversity, Equity, Inclusion and Achievement Task Force Update," DEIA Task Force members, UofSC
- "Let's Talk About Your Finances," Rachel Sinoway, UofSC
- General Remarks, Dennis Pruitt; Office of Diversity, Equity and Inclusion update, Julian Williams, UofSC
- "Eco-Friendly New Year," Grace Kazmierski and Larry Cook, UofSC
- Mindfulness and Meditation workshop, Marguerite O'Brien
- "UofSC Community Insights Survey," Alicia Bervine, Stacey Bradley, Kim Pruitt and Nathan Strong, UofSC
- "Supporting LGBTQ+ Students at UofSC," Caroline Wallace, UofSC
- "Mental Health and Well-Being in a Prolonged Crisis," Rebecca Caldwell and April Scott, UofSC
- "Doing Democracy Differently,"Ambra Hiott and Carly Zerr, UofSC
- "The Challenges of Being Black in Student Affairs," Allison Smith, Louisiana Board of Regents, AMS Consulting
- "The Resiliency Project," Rebecca Caldwell, April Scott, Justina Siuba, Marguerite O'Brien and Leena Holt, UofSC
- "Implicit Bias," Preshuslee Thompson, Kirwain Institute
- "Enrollment and Retention," Stacey Bradley and Mary Wagner, UofSC
- "Financial Aid and Scholarships," Joey Derrick, UofSC
- "Mental Health and Suicide Risk Reduction," Debbie Beck, Rebecca Caldwell, Warrenetta Mann, UofSC
- "Student Life Revisioning," Anna Edwards, UofSC
- "Masculinity at UofSC," Julian Capel, Cody Dunlap, Jason Halterman and Shawna Edmond, UofSC
- Campus Space Planning, Derek Gruner, UofSC
- "Crisis Management and Response," Wes Hickman, Chris Wuchenich, UofSC
- "Supporting International Students," International Student Services staff and student panel, UofSC
- "Student Affairs Life Hack: Positive Mental Health and Resilient Living," Warrenetta Mann and April Scott, UofSC
- "Viewpoint Diversity," Marc Shook, UofSC, and "Fake News, Real Problem," Maegan Gudridge, UofSC
- "Meet Generation Z," Keith Ellis, UofSC
- "Veterans on Campus," panel of UofSC student veterans
- "Workplace Survey Results," Nathan Strong, UofSC
- 1st Amendment Panel, Christian Anderson, Susan Bon, Anna Edwards, Kevin Sheppard, UofSC
- "Creating a Trauma-Informed Campus," Shannon Nix, Sarah Wright, UofSC
- "Trans*forming Higher Education: Creating Affirming Learning Environments for LGBTQ+ College Students Through Policy and Practice," Cindy Ann Kilgo, University of Alabama