Skip to Content

Graduation and Retention Network

Non-Degree Students

Apply as an undergraduate, non-degree student through the Office of Undergraduate Admissions. 

How to Apply

  1. Non-degree students can learn more about undergraduate level admission here.
  1. To apply for undergraduate admission to the University, set up an account first.
  1. Keep in mind that non-degree students are not eligible for financial aid.
  1. Once accepted, you will receive an acceptance email from Undergraduate Admissions with a detailed to-do list and an assigned VIP ID.
  1. On your list, you will be instructed on how to complete your proof of state residency, citizenship verification, and immunization paperwork. You will also be instructed on how to access Self Service Carolina, how to set up your email account, and how to complete multifactor authentication.  For assistance, please reach out to these offices:
    Citizenship verification and proof of state residency, (803) 777-5555
    Division of Information Technology
    Multifactor authentication and email set-up, (803) 777-1800
    Student Health Services 
    Immunization completion,  (803) 777-3175
    Application status updates,  (803) 777-7700
  1. Before registering for classes, you will need to check your account for any holds (citizenship, immunization, etc).
  1. After all holds are removed, you can register for classes and pay tuition and fees in Self Service Carolina. The Office of Financial Aid provides the full breakdown of the estimated cost to attend. Any questions about tuition and fees can be directed to the Bursar’s office at (803) 777-4233.

Application Deadlines:

  • May 1st for summer admission
  • July 1st for fall admission
  • November 1st for spring admission 

Registering for Classes 

Log in to to register. You'll need your VIP ID and password.

Find a Class

Use the online Class Finder to find courses that fit your schedule. For courses specifically on weekends or in the evening, be sure to select that session in the search field.

Auditing a Class

You can ask to audit a course, where you attend classes without receiving a grade or completing any assignments or exams.

Complete the Audit Form
Fill out the audit form and return to: 
Office of the University Registrar
1244 Blossom St.
Columbia, SC 29208

Class Overrides

Asking For An Override
Either the professor or the department offering the course can give an override for you to join a closed course or a course requiring special permission.

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.