Skip to Content


Frequently Asked Questions

Students often have questions about advisement or regarding their academic success. We've compiled some of the most common here to help you.

How do I change my major?

If you wish to change your major within the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management, you will need to sign up for a new major session. If you want to change majors to another college at the University, you must be accepted by that college. Investigate next steps with help from the Exploratory Advising team.

How do I meet with my advisor?

You can schedule an appointment to meet with your advisor for various reasons at any time.

Where would I find my registration appointment time (time ticket)?

To find your registration appointment time, go to Self Service Carolina and login. Click on the "Student" button and select the "Registration" box. You must be advised prior to registration. You will not be cleared to register for courses until you are advised.

How do I get an override into a class that is already full?

Most commonly, it is the case that closed sections whether in person or online have a strict capacity. Many students have questions about the registration process and obtaining overrides. Please refer to the HRSM Registration page for more information.

May I take courses at another institution during the summer?

You may take up to eighteen (18) semester hours of courses in transient status provided that (1) you are in good standing, (2) a Special Enrollment Request (AS 30) form must be approved in advance by your academic advisor and assistant dean, and (3) the other institution is fully accredited and the course work meets University specifications for transfer credits. Transient work must be passed with a grade of C or higher. Other restrictions may apply. 

How do I declare a minor?

Once you have declared your major, you may declare a minor during your advisement appointment or by emailing your advisor. See the Undergraduate Bulletin for a complete list of available minors.

What do I need to do if I have been placed on SPTE probation?

If you are a SPTE student and your LIFE GPA falls below a 2.75, you will be placed on SPTE probation beginning with the upcoming major semester. You must complete the SPTE Academic Probation Contract and the additional probation requirements outlined in the contract prior to being advised for the upcoming semester. You will not be able to register for courses in the upcoming semester if you have not completed the SPTE Academic Probation Contract and the additional probation requirements. If you have questions regarding your academic status, please contact your academic advisor.

How do I request Grade Forgiveness?

Review the Undergraduate Grade Forgiveness Policy carefully before submitting request form online.

Does the College of Hospitality, Retail and Sport Management offer scholarships?

Yes, the College of HRSM offers scholarships yearly for incoming freshmen and continuing students. Please check the HRSM website for scholarship and travel scholarship applications.

What do I need to do if I am missing classes due to either a documented illness or family emergency?

Contact the Student Ombudsperson in the Office of Vice President for Student and Alumni Affairs at (803) 777-4172.

How do I apply for graduation?

You must apply online through your Self Service Carolina account. Under your "Student" tab click the "Graduation" box. Please note an application submission does not guarantee your approval for candidacy. All students who apply for graduation will receive a follow-up email with their initial approval or disapproval to participate in the commencement activities.

For further information on dates and frequently asked questions about commencement, please visit the Registrar’s website.

Where do I find student forms?

University Student Forms:

HRSM Student Forms:

Sport and Entertainment Management Forms:

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.