Welcome to the web site devoted especially to helping you get the most out of your physics laboratory experience. Here we provide links to information on Physics 201/202 and 211/212 laboratory courses. Of course, this is a work in progress and is continually being improved and amended. If you don't find what you are looking for here, let us know and we'll get the information up as quickly as possible.
PHYSICS LAB WAIT LIST:
The 200-level PHYS Labs waitlist for the FALL 2020 semester is CLOSED. If you are still interested in taking one of the labs listed, please use the appropriate link to let us know. Links to both Join and Remove are below.
Currently, the Department of Physics and Astronomy will be offering the 200 level PHYS labs in both a 100% web mix (both synchronous and asynchronous) and blended (50% or more web, synchronous and asynchronous) version. Most of these labs will be of the blended type.
The fully online sections will meet remotely and discuss the current lab experiment, or have presentations. The students will watch a video to see the current experiment conducted. The teaching assistant (TA) will give the students an assignment to be turned in. Each student will complete eight experiments and a presentation, all in our online format. All meetings of the course will take place virtually using the Collaborate Ultra component of Blackboard. These lab sections are NOT self-paced. Students will be expected to be available to meet with their instructors at the designated days and times listed for the courses and sections in Self-Service Carolina.
The blended sections of the lab will have BOTH a face to face (FTF) component AND an online component. Students in a lab section will alternate weeks of face to face lab instruction with one TA and online lab instruction with a different TA. Each student will complete four lab experiments in a hands-on, FTF environment and four lab experiments in our online format. The presentation requirement for the lab course will be in an online format. The online meetings of the course will utilize the Collaborate Ultra component of Blackboard. The online portions of the course are NOT self paced. Students will be expected to be available to meet with their instructors at the designated days and times listed for the courses and sections in Self-Service Carolina.
All course details can be found in the "Look Up Courses" section of Self-Service Carolina for your reference.
- Schedule, directory info, and e-mail links for the laboratory instructors, the faculty and support staff are found here. If
you need to contact your instructor or the faculty in charge of your course, this
is the place to go.
- A complete listing of all the current laboratory project descriptions are found here. This is where you go to print, or view your copy of the project descriptions.
- PHYS 201L Experiment Videos
- PHYS 202L Experiment Videos
- PHYS 211L Experiment Videos
- PHYS 212L Experiment Videos
- How to prepare an Oral Presentation.
- Data Analysis, Uncertainty, and Graphing How-To [pdf]
- Graph paper available for download.
- Syllabus for all 200 level physics labs in the blended version.
- Syllabus for all 200 level physics labs in the 100% online version.