The Graduate School coordinates online applications to our master's and doctoral programs. There may be supporting materials that are required along with your online application for graduate admission, so be sure to review the degree requirements before you apply.
For more information about why you might want to apply to our graduate program, see this flyer!
There are several additional requirements for our program, which you will need to submit with your application.
- Names and contact information for at least three people familiar with your work, and who have agreed to write a letter of recommendation for you. The Graduate School will contact them and ask them to submit their letters electronically directly to USC.
- Official transcripts from any post-secondary institution where you have done academic work.
- GRE scores are now optional.
- If your native language is not English you'll be required to submit a satisfactory score on the TOEFL or the IELTS Intl. Academic Course Type 2 exam.
- A statement of purpose discussing your reasons for applying to our program and what you hope to get out of the program.
- One or two samples of written work.
The Office of Undergraduate Admissions manages online applications to the university and provides the most comprehensive information on the application process. The admissions office also provides the latest information on application deadlines and university scholarships for S.C. residents and nonresidents. So whether you are applying as a freshman, are looking to transfer to South Carolina or are planning to come to Columbia from another UofSC campus, you can check the requirements based on your current status and apply now.
Awards and Scholarships
We believe in recognizing outstanding achievement and we offer a number of awards to philosophy students at the undergraduate and graduate level. In addition, the university offers an array of scholarships through the Office of Financial Aid and Scholarships.