Skip to Content

Coronavirus: Get complete details about the university's response to COVID-19.

International Student Services

J-2 Employment: Dependent Employment Authorization

How to Apply

If you are a J-2 dependent who wishes to apply for work authorization, you and the J-1 primary should make an appointment with an international student advisor to put together the application. The application is mailed to USCIS and takes approximately 60 to 90 days to be approved. You cannot work until you physically receive your work authorization card.

ISS cannot advise on any other type of work authorization application, including Asylee or Permanent Resident Employment Authorization applications. ISS advisors do not have the expertise or the purview to review these applications.

To apply, you should prepare the following materials:

  • A written statement from the J-2 dependent, with any supporting evidence (examples: Financial Guarantee/Proof of Funding, Proof of Health Insurance, etc), showing that your employment is not necessary to support the J-1 but is for other purposes (i.e. your earnings will not support the principal J-1). Here is an example letter that includes a helpful statement for requesting that the card be authorized to the end date on your DS-2019.
  • Complete Form I-765 [pdf]
  • Check for $410 made out to U.S. Department of Homeland Security. You can provide a personal check, cashier's check, or money order.
  • Photocopies of the following documents (come with all photocopies prepared):
    • Photocopies of J-1 and J-2’s DS-2019s
    • Photocopies of passport photo page of J-1 and J-2 passports
    • Photocopies of J-1 and J-2 Visas
    • Photocopies of Entry Stamps in J-1 and J-2 passports
    • Printouts or photocopies of J-1 and J-2 I-94s
  • 2 passport-style photos

Challenge the conventional. Create the exceptional. No Limits.