In order to see an advisor about Curricular Practical Training, you will first need to watch our online workshop or attend an in-person workshop. See the right-hand column for information about both types of workshops.
In order to be authorized for Curricular Practical Training, you need to meet the following requirements:
- You must have been fully enrolled as a student for at least one academic year (nine months).
- Your graduation cannot be delayed due to your Curricular Practical Training.
- The proposed employment must be an integral part of your program of study. CPT must be very closely related to your academic work. Please see the options below to learn more about how CPT can work for you.
- You need to have an offer of employment.
- You need to meet with an International Student Advisor in order to obtain a CPT application.
- After completing the CPT application, you need a new Form I-20, which your international student advisor will provide to you.
- During the fall and spring semesters, you can only work 20 hours per week total, on-campus and off-campus combined. The only exception to this is if you have an approved exemption from full-time enrollment from ISS.
Types of Curricular Practical Training at USC:
Course Requirement CPT
- You have a mandatory internship course in your program.
- You are enrolled in a credit-bearing elective that requires practical experience as part of the course.
- The course in which you will be enrolled is during the same semester of your employment.
Dissertation Research CPT
- In order to write your dissertation, you need to collect data through an off-campus work experience.
- You will be enrolled in dissertation prep hours for the entirety of your off-campus work experience.
- You are NOT in your final semester of study. (Dissertation prep CPT is not permitted during your final semester.)