May 12 - May 21, 2020
Brackenhurst and Nairobi, Kenya
Faculty leader: Professor Minuette Floyd (Art Education)
This 10-day study abroad academic experience to Kenya is life changing, and life affirming for students. The focus of this study abroad program is to provide hands-on art experiences for children in a variety of settings such as schools and afterschool workshops. Students also witness first-hand the strides that have been made across society, in education and within the social structure of the country.
- Leading art workshops for children, course credit for ARTE 201: Enhancing Perceptions Through Art and Art Making
- Nairobi National Park
- Elephant Orphanage and Giraffe Center
- Kiswahili language lesson
- Nairobi Maasai Market
- Art galleries in Banana Town
Approximate Program Cost:
- $2,660 based on 10 participants | $2,500 or lower for 13+ participants
- Includes accommodations, transportation while in Kenya, and some meals
- Air travel not included
- Students must purchase an International Student Card ($30)
Upcoming Interest Sessions:
Dates: October 9, 30, and November 13, 2019
Time: 5:00 pm - 6:30 pm
Location: Student Excellence Collaborative at Flinn Hall (Room 107)
Please RSVP to Minuette Floyd, firstname.lastname@example.org
June 13 - June 25, 2020
Kyoto and Osaka, Japan
Faculty leaders: Professors Mary Robinson (Studio Art / Printmaking) and Amanda Wangwright (Art History)
While in Japan, earn three hours of SCHC course credit by studying Japanese art, architecture, and art-making. Students will learn about and walk through world heritage sites such as Byodo-in Buddhist temple, the Kamo Shinto shrine, and the Nijo Castle. Students will study and see in person masterpieces of Japanese sculpture and painting. The course additionally involves firsthand training in the basic practices of woodblock printing. Throughout, students can experience Japanese culture through authentic meals and an overnight Buddhist temple stay. This course consists of lectures and readings on Japanese art and culture in advance of the trip, as well as site visits in the ancient capital of Kyoto and the modern city of Osaka.
- $2,500 for UofSC Honors Students | $3,500 for non-honors students
- Includes accommodations, several excursions, and some meals.
- Does not include airfare or tuition.
Learn more on the Honors College Study Abroad Page, or contact Kevin Metcalf (email@example.com or 803-777-6280)