What To Do
1. Remain calm and stay where you are.
2. Evacuate ONLY if instructed to do so.
3. Call USCPD at 911 in an emergency or 803-777-4215.
Tell the dispatcher:
- Your location
- The area affected
- How long the power has been out
- Any significant water damage, flooding, gas leak or major utility failure
- Any injuries
Stay on the phone until you are released by the dispatcher.
4. Turn off all electrical devices.
If you're in an elevator...
- Remain calm and do NOT try to open the doors.
- Press the emergency button or call 911.
- Tell the dispatcher your location, what floor you are near and about any injuries.
- Stay on the phone until you are released by the dispatcher.
If you're in a laboratory and it's safe to perform the following, do so...
- Secure all experiments.
- Restore all chemicals to their proper place.
- Open all windows and doors to provide appropriate ventilation. If you cannot, evacuate immediately and tell USCPD.
- Do NOT open cold rooms, refrigerators and other temperature-sensitive areas.