Jaclyn A. Cherry
|Title:||Associate Dean for Academic Affairs
Associate Professor of Law
|School of Law|
1525 Senate Street
Jaclyn Cherry is a leading expert in nonprofit and tax exempt law. She serves as an advisor for the American Law Institute’s Restatement of the Law of Charitable Nonprofit Organizations and has co-authored several nonprofit tax exempt articles and texts including the 3rd edition of her casebook Tax Exempt Organizations: Cases and Materials (2014) and Understanding Nonprofit and Tax Exempt Organizations (2012).
Jaclyn teaches nonprofit, tax exempt and other courses, including the nonprofit organizations clinic and small business capstone course at the Law School. Her presentations include “Nonprofit Board of Director Governance” for the Advanced Leadership Academy in cooperation with the Initiative on Social Enterprise at the Harvard Business School. She is a Fellow of the American Bar Foundation.
She serves on the advisory board of the Nelson Mullins Riley Scarborough Center on Professionalism, is a member and advisor of the American Law Institute, and founding member of the South Carolina Volunteer Lawyers for the Arts (SCVLA). She was as co-chair of the Governance Review Committee of the Clinical Legal Education Association of the American Association of Law Schools and won the G.G. Dowling Faculty Award given by the University of South Carolina School of Law to a faculty member who typifies to fellow faculty outstanding qualities of integrity, concern for others and legal scholarship.
Jaclyn was a Visiting Professor at the University of San Diego School of Law and Associate Director and Professor of Clinical Legal Education at Duquesne University School of Law. She has practiced law and served as General Counsel to many nonprofit tax exempt organizations. She served as board president of the Bethlehem Project, was a board member of Pittsburgh Neighborhood Legal Services Association, and a board member of Redstone Highlands Presbyterian Seniorcare. She is the author of several chapters in the recently published SC Nonprofit Corporate Practice Manual, 2nd ed. (2015).
- Nonprofit Organizations (LAWS 717)
- Nonprofit Organizations Clinic (LAWS 716)
- Small Business Organization Capstone Course (LAWS 561)
- Commercial Activity and the Operational Test, Taxation of Exempts, Thomson Reuters (forthcoming 2018) (invited)
- Property Tax Exemption for Charitable Nonprofit Organizations: A Uniform Possibility, __ Wake Forest J. Bus. & Intell. Prop. L. __ (forthcoming 2017)
- Tax Exempt Organizations: Cases and Materials, LexisNexis 3d ed. (2014)
- ALI, Principles of the Law of Charitable Nonprofit Organizations, Chapter 3, Associate Reporter (2013)
- Understanding Nonprofit and Tax Exempt Organizations, LexisNexis 2d ed. (2012)
- Charitable Organizations and Commercial Activity: A New Era, Will the Social Entrepreneurship Movement Force Change, 5 J. Bus. Entrepreneurship & L. 345 (2012)