James R. Burkhard
|Title:||Associate Professor of Law
|School of Law|
1525 Senate Street
Professor Burkhard teaches in the areas of Property and Business. Prior to joining the faculty he was a partner in a Columbus, Ohio firm where he practiced law for twelve years. He served for seven years as the editor in chief of the American Bar Association's Real Property, Trust & Estate Law Journal, retiring from that position in January, 2013. Professor Burkhard has a special interest in small business organizations. He has been active as a member of, and reporter for, various drafting committees involved in revisions of the South Carolina business laws.
- J.D. (1968) Ohio State University
- M.A. (1965) Ohio University
- B.A. (1963) Ohio State University
- Business Corporations (LAWS 600)
- Agency, Partnerships & LLCs (LAWS 611 )
- Corporations (LAWS 581)
- Property (LAWS 509)
- “Resolving LLC Member Disputes in North Carolina”, 37 Campbell Law Review --- (2015).
- “Resolving LLC Member Disputes in Connecticut, Massachusetts, Pennsylvania, Wisconsin, and Other States that Enacted the Prototype LLC Act”, 67 Bus. Law. 405 (2012)
- “May a Member of an LLC or a Limited Partner Bring a Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claim Against Those Controlling the LLC or Partnership as a Diversity Action?” 23 Rev. Litigation 241 (2004)
- “LLC Member and Limited Partner Breach of Fiduciary Duty Claims: Direct or Derivative?” J. Small & Emerging Bus. L. 19 (Spring 2003)